Other CBS Shows

Anything unrelated to Eleventh Hour goes here.

Other CBS Shows

Postby Heradite » 10 Jul 2009, 07:53

I'll still be watching CBS because of the Big Bang Theory and Gary Unmarried (I need comedies between my dramas), and because of the Mentalist (an amazing crime show).

But the only new show I'll be tuning into is the Good Wife.

There's no use boycotting CBS unless you have a nielsen box, and though the Good Wife will probably be canceled (like I go in to many new shows knowing the risk), and will probably get attached, I'll enjoy the ride and be happy I watched it no matter the survival risk.

The other shows didn't interest me, and I predict half will fall. Right now, the survival rate for CBS in particular is less than 25% (the average survival rate of any primetime network show on any network is 33%-so there's a 66% the show is canceled because not enough people tune in). This isn't because CBS is a bad network, but because it is a business. EH's cancellation came to me as a surprise since it wasn't a bomb-in fact it was doing decent numbers. Most of their news shows either bomb, and do decent numbers-and CBS only likes the word "hit". EH wasn't a hit thanks to the Mentalist, and while you guys may blame the Mentalist...I love both shows.

Anyways I'll still watch CBS, like I still watch ABC and still watch NBC and still watch FOX. The CW hasn't canceled anything I love yet (Gossip Girl is like the only one on that network that I would be devastated if canceled), so I can't include it on the list.
Heradite
Preschooler

Re: Other CBS Shows

Postby onepercentclub » 10 Jul 2009, 12:22

CBS never treated EH the way they treated The Mentalist. The publicity for both shows was completely different, giving TM more time than EH. EH's actors never did any appearances that I know of on late night shows and I'm sure that if they had given it more publicity the show would've gotten much better numbers.

It's tough to watch a new show, invest time on it, like the characters and then bam! See it disappear. That's why many people will consider watching a new show on CBS again. They will probably wait and see how it is treated and then watch it.

As for The Mentalist... Gosh, it is very boring, but that is my opinion. I don't relate it to EH's cancellation. I just think EH was more entertaining and had much more intelligent and appealing characters with very interesting backgrounds than TM. Sorry.

And who knows if Nielsen is the real deal? Maybe they should go back to ask people directly if they like or watch a show or not. I supposed that would be more accurate.
onepercentclub
Middle Schooler

Postby luvinx » 10 Jul 2009, 13:51

Lu, as always, you said everything just as I would. I completely agree.
luvinx
High Schooler

Postby xFrEAKk » 10 Jul 2009, 16:21

I agree with everything you said too.... everything you said except:

onepercentclub wrote:EH's actors never did any appearances that I know of on late night shows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_ufNf1_WQo Oh, how much I love this vid... :3 Rufus is brilliant, and he's hilarious too. :D Loves him, loves him... :) <3
xFrEAKk
Grade Schooler

Postby onepercentclub » 10 Jul 2009, 16:59

Thank you Kel ;)

And Kalli, I agree with you, but I wish both Marley and Rufus would've done more. They're very nice people too, besides being good actors and that would've given the show a little bit more exposure.
onepercentclub
Middle Schooler

Postby æthre » 10 Jul 2009, 17:58

Yeah, I'm still watching CBS shows as well - Criminal Minds and TBBT for me! None of the new shows look interesting, though... Actually, only one of ABC's new shows is, thus so far, the only one to catch my attention. And it's gunna be pretty hit and miss, to tell you the truth.

Other than that I'm watching House, Fringe and maybe Bones (if it continues to suck, screw it) on Fox, Castle on ABC, Chuck on NBC and then a bunch of shows on SciFi... whiiich I have to steal to watch anyway. Lame.
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby luvinx » 10 Jul 2009, 21:06

onepercentclub wrote:Thank you Kel ;)

;)
onepercentclub wrote:And Kalli, I agree with you, but I wish both Marley and Rufus would've done more. They're very nice people too, besides being good actors and that would've given the show a little bit more exposure.

Yes. RS and MS were robbed....period. It would be interesting to see how many talk shows Baker was on, eh?
æthre wrote:Actually, only one of ABC's new shows is, thus so far, the only one to catch my attention. And it's gunna be pretty hit and miss, to tell you the truth.

Which show, Nikki? Or is it "The Forgotten"? Which I will watch for SG even if for no other reason.
luvinx
High Schooler

Postby æthre » 10 Jul 2009, 21:08

Flash Forward. I forgot which network The Forgotten was on >.>;
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby luvinx » 10 Jul 2009, 21:16

æthre wrote:Flash Forward. I forgot which network The Forgotten was on >.>;

Gotcha! And :lol:
luvinx
High Schooler

Postby æthre » 10 Jul 2009, 21:19

Goddamn I have a lot of tv to watch.
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby xFrEAKk » 11 Jul 2009, 09:18

I'm still going to be watching CBS, unfortunately, because of all three CSIs. :o
xFrEAKk
Grade Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 11 Jul 2009, 09:23

Err, Kalli aside (please pardon the following rant) by a quick show of hands, how many people here did or still do watch any or all incarnations of CSI, (raises hand for 'did') and how many people think it's time for the original one to be put out of it's misery (and ours?)

As I've never watched the spin-offs, I don't know how they are doing, but for me, the original CSI died with Warrick, as well as Sara and Grissom's departure. I loved the romantic dynamics between Gil/Sara and Cath/Warrick, and the friendship dynamics between the whole team, but particularly the guys (Nick and Warrick) and Greg, or Grissom, or any combination thereof. They all worked very well together, and the friendship was at the heart of their team and the series, as much as, if not more than, the forensics.

Which is why I was so damned disappointed when Warrick turned into a druggie, Nick turned into a twit, Greg lost all his buoyancy, and for the love of the gods, who thought it was a good idea to bring Hodges to the forefront???

Sorry. Concluding rant for now, mostly because I have to leave for work. But honestly, people... CSI had a great run. Now give it a nice, humane euthanasia like it deserves, because it is very clearly suffering.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby æthre » 11 Jul 2009, 10:56

Did not watch. Which you knew.
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby luvinx » 11 Jul 2009, 11:13

ObsidianJade wrote:how many people here did or still do watch any or all incarnations of CSI, (raises hand for 'did') and how many people think it's time for the original one to be put out of it's misery (and ours?)

I did and it is done! (Sorry to be so harsh, but it is such a damn shame because this show was one of the best!)

Let it end before too much is tainted. If it hasn't been already. :(
luvinx
High Schooler

Postby onepercentclub » 11 Jul 2009, 11:27

ObsidianJade wrote:Which is why I was so damned disappointed when Warrick turned into a druggie, Nick turned into a twit, Greg lost all his buoyancy, and for the love of the gods, who thought it was a good idea to bring Hodges to the forefront???

Sorry. Concluding rant for now, mostly because I have to leave for work. But honestly, people... CSI had a great run. Now give it a nice, humane euthanasia like it deserves, because it is very clearly suffering.

I agree with you. CSI was excellent when everybody was on board. Warrick's departure started its decline. I still think that 9th season should've been the last. While it's understandable that Grissom left - I mean, he wasn't going to be a CSI forever, he's got ambition and a life, he's so freaking intelligent! - he was a very important character and I watched mostly because of him. The other franchises are ok but not as good. And Hodges has to be one of the most annoying characters on TV. He should be a regular with mere 1 or 2 minutes on screen tops. For fun.

And yes Kel, CSI is done. Way done.

luvinx wrote:Yes. RS and MS were robbed....period. It would be interesting to see how many talk shows Baker was on, eh?

A lot. And a lot of magazines too. And not only him. The rest of the cast as well :x

æthre wrote: Other than that I'm watching House, Fringe and maybe Bones (if it continues to suck, screw it) on Fox, Castle on ABC, Chuck on NBC and then a bunch of shows on SciFi... whiiich I have to steal to watch anyway. Lame.

I agree with you on Fringe and Bones (it has got to get better). And obviously The Forgotten, Flash Forward and I might give Eastwick and chance. Oh and Dark Blue.
onepercentclub
Middle Schooler

Postby æthre » 11 Jul 2009, 11:45

Yeah, I might try out Eastwick if I have the time... Cuz I just realised that I'm going to be watching about nine network shows a season, plus Stargate Universe, Eureka, Sanctuary and Warehouse 13 (god knows the airing schedule for those shows - SciFi always played things weird).

And I'm also probably going to get BSG on dvd and I realllly need to start watching Dr. Who and Torchwood...

*dies*
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby onepercentclub » 11 Jul 2009, 11:49

Torchwood!!! What a stress! I had forgotten about that one. I need to start watching again.
Too many shows... Too little time.
onepercentclub
Middle Schooler

Postby æthre » 11 Jul 2009, 11:56

Indeed! Particularily since I want to pick up a part time job in the fall...
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby ObsidianJade » 11 Jul 2009, 12:07

Eastwick does look like a great deal of fun. I agree that Bones has taken an odd turn, though I don't think it sucks. I do wish Bren would return to her earlier-season nature, particularly the 'I don't know what that means' line, that was always a great bit of fun.

I'll also be watching Fringe, Lie to Me (excellent series there!), House and Castle, and WH13 on SciFi. Cougertown on ABC also looks funny, and the Forgotten looks very good, if a little heavy. I'll watch that, but only because it's SG's work and I have faith in him. I'll probably love it within a few eps, though. Might even pick up watching Glee on Fox, the first ep was... interesting. I wouldn't mind seeing where that goes, though I don't have long-term plans on that one.

All of that in between my two jobs, writing, the EHRC, and all of my work at home. And I wonder why my days always fly by....

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby æthre » 11 Jul 2009, 12:50

When you had started watching Bones for the science and the dead people, yeah, the current direction of Bones sucks. Less soap opera plz.
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby xFrEAKk » 11 Jul 2009, 13:04

ObsidianJade wrote:Err, Kalli aside (please pardon the following rant) by a quick show of hands, how many people here did or still do watch any or all incarnations of CSI, (raises hand for 'did') and how many people think it's time for the original one to be put out of it's misery (and ours?)

As I've never watched the spin-offs, I don't know how they are doing, but for me, the original CSI died with Warrick, as well as Sara and Grissom's departure. I loved the romantic dynamics between Gil/Sara and Cath/Warrick, and the friendship dynamics between the whole team, but particularly the guys (Nick and Warrick) and Greg, or Grissom, or any combination thereof. They all worked very well together, and the friendship was at the heart of their team and the series, as much as, if not more than, the forensics.

Lol I totally agree with you on CSI dying with Warrick. Buuut.... Doesn't mean I can't watch it die, does it.... O_O"
xFrEAKk
Grade Schooler

Postby onepercentclub » 11 Jul 2009, 15:40

æthre wrote:When you had started watching Bones for the science and the dead people, yeah, the current direction of Bones sucks. Less soap opera plz.

Exactly!
onepercentclub
Middle Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 11 Jul 2009, 18:38

xFrEAKk wrote:Doesn't mean I can't watch it die, does it....

How charmingly morbid of you!! I just gave up on it, Grissom's departure (and reunion with Sara!!!) was the last episode I watched. To me, it's dead already; I have no interest in watching it continue to bury itself.

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby xFrEAKk » 12 Jul 2009, 11:10

>.< Well then I'll watch it to kill time... >.>"
xFrEAKk
Grade Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 12 Jul 2009, 11:21

That's the last thing I need help with. Although I think that should qualify as an unjust murder on the part of your time at this point... or has the new guy gotten better?

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Next

Return to General Discussion