News Headlines

Anything unrelated to Eleventh Hour goes here.

Re: News Headlines

Postby ObsidianJade » 16 Jun 2009, 09:46

(chuckles) Oddly enough, I have part of a plot for a story - which will probably never make it as far as the writing stage, sorry! - in my head about Hood, Rachel, and a case that involves them riding horses to the scene, but in this case it's Hood who rides, just pleasure riding sort of thing, and Rachel who has no clue. She's a city girl, I think, but if I had to guess a horse discipline for her, I'd actually have said stadium jumping. Somehow, I can't picture her in the Western show outfits... :?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby æthre » 16 Jun 2009, 18:38

I can't see her in western wear either... Nope, doesn't work.

I can see Hood on a horse, though. For the obvious reasons that there are many, many examples of Rufus on a horse, lawl!
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby ObsidianJade » 16 Jun 2009, 19:10

I adored the horses in Knight's Tale. Some of the most beautiful animals I've seen in a lot of years, 'specially that Andalusian or Fresian that he was riding. Although if you watch the extras of the DVD, they have a little behind-the-scenes thing on the horses they use - the movements of that particular breed are AMAZING. To-die-for horses, really.

Heh, I'll shut up now.

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby æthre » 16 Jun 2009, 19:24

Ha, I spent most of my time drooling over Rufus not the horses, XDD
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby ObsidianJade » 16 Jun 2009, 19:37

I can multitask. I drooled over Heath, Roof, AND the horses. There's a bit in the extras where Heath takes his shirt off too, yummy....

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby jrzgrl11 » 17 Jun 2009, 08:34

I have to agree with you obsidian-jade show jumping is a much better fit for Rachel. Her diminutive size would be an asset there and I know she'd love the risk element. My original feeling was that she was a Texas girl who had worked hard to get rid of the accent. A tomboy who had lots of brothers.I really don't know much about these characters. Maybe we can start a thread in the FanFic section to pool the facts that are known.
As for Rufe on a horse I think there are few things finer than seeing a gorgeous man on a gorgeous horse. Although wasn't there something in one of his interviews where he complained about ending up in roles where he was required to ride a horse while wearing a funny hat? I think someone posted a picture that showed him doing just that.
jrzgrl11
Preschooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 18 Jun 2009, 10:15

I think the original comment was something to the effect of he was always doing movies that required him to be on a horse and always had a crown present *somewhere*, I'm not sure about the funny hat part, although, knowing Rufus, he probably did say something to that effect and I just haven't read it yet...

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby æthre » 19 Jun 2009, 06:09

I think it was funny hat... not sure...
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby ObsidianJade » 21 Jun 2009, 10:02

Okay, here's one that even Hood would be perking his ears up for.

Trakr, a Search-and-Rescue canine who found the last survivor to be pulled from the wreckage of the Twin Towers, died a short time ago at the age of sixteen.

Not, however, before his owner won a contest - one to have his pet cloned! Check it out - and don't yell at me for the source of the vidclip, I can't help it!!! :lol:

http://www.gnn.com/article/scientists-c ... r%2F531064

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby luvinx » 21 Jun 2009, 10:12

Wow, Sarah....that is amazing! I remember that dog. That is so sad how he died. And I feel for that poor man. That was not just his pet, you know?

I wonder where the woman is that Trakr rescued? I think she might want one of those pups!
luvinx
High Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 21 Jun 2009, 10:35

Well, at sixteen, he had a very good life, particularly for a dog that size. He did good work with his time and now... well, now his next generation will get a chance to do five times as much good, if they're lucky. They're not the same dog - none of them will be - but they'll still have his intelligence and strength, and with good fortune they will all be a credit to the S&R teams they join.

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby æthre » 21 Jun 2009, 16:45

That is so cool! And the original dog's name is web 2.0 too!

XD
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby ObsidianJade » 26 Jun 2009, 14:04

A sad day yesterday for the entertainment world. Emmy-nominated Farrah Fawcet, forever the golden girl of Charlie's Angels, surrendered to her years-long battle with cancer, passing away Thursday morning in the presence of loved ones.

She was followed late that night by the controversial King of Pop, Michael Jackson. While the younger among us - myself included - may remember only the controversy, please take a moment to remember a career that spanned decades, a talent that spanned generations, and a legacy that will span lifetimes; not as Peter Pan, but as a boy who was truely lost in this world. An indisputable gift, a misunderstood man, and in the end, a legend worth remembering.

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby æthre » 26 Jun 2009, 14:24

Favourite quote about the MJ/Farrah Fawcet thing: "Is it wrong that I kinda feel sad for Farrah Fawcett that the news of her death just got upstaged?" (@pvponline on twitter)

I have to say, I kinda agree with that. I mean, even before it was announced that he had died, the MJ tweets totally creamed the Farrah Fawcet ones.

Ah well, I didn't even know who Farrah Fawcet was until today (same with Ed McMahon) and, well, I'm in the 'only remembering the creepy things' age group for MJ.

Still sucks, though.
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby ObsidianJade » 28 Jun 2009, 20:54

And yet again - this one blindsided me! Not a good few days to be famous, I guess.

Billy Mays - the shout-it-out guy on all those infomercials you either hate to love or love to hate - was found dead in his home this morning at the age of fifty, following the rough landing of a US Airways flight to his home state of Florida.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,529328,00.html?mep

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby luvinx » 28 Jun 2009, 21:21

Geez. Good to be a 'nobody' this week, eh? And that flight....scary. I hate to fly so that would have done me in for any future flying.
luvinx
High Schooler

Postby æthre » 29 Jun 2009, 06:51

Yeah, Twitter was in an uproar over that one. In a horrible note, I was sorta glad for some news to (briefly) take over the MJ news. But, no, MJ is back as #2 on the trending topics (above which is #musicmonday and below which is #iranelection. Priorities.)
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby ObsidianJade » 29 Jun 2009, 07:44

Also a bit odd, since I think Mays and MJ were the same age. But ye gods, talk about coming from opposite ends of the spectrum! Maybe Mays was only on the Earth to balance out MJ's influence and when one goes, the other had to...?

Yeah, me, random much?

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby æthre » 30 Jun 2009, 16:56

Yeah, they were apparently born within a few weeks of each other. Weird.
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby ObsidianJade » 30 Jun 2009, 21:18

This isn't exactly a headline - it has nothing to do with anything, but it's very funny. Honestly, who has a quacking duck for a ringtone???

http://news.aol.com/article/obama-duck- ... e%2F550066

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby æthre » 30 Jun 2009, 21:43

I like the poll underneath... why program an embarrassing ringtone into your phone anyway?
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby ObsidianJade » 30 Jun 2009, 22:11

I had the exact same thought!! I mean, come on, people! But seriously, a duck??? Well, at least that person always knows it's his/her phone ringing.... Although I think they'll be more careful about putting it on vibrate from now on, :lol:

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby æthre » 30 Jun 2009, 22:34

I'm not even sure what my ringtone is - it's always set to vibrate anyway.
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby ObsidianJade » 07 Jul 2009, 11:54

Well, it's a step in the right direction.... I think! :roll:

http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2009/07/0 ... ic-cars%2F

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby æthre » 09 Jul 2009, 17:10