News Headlines

Anything unrelated to Eleventh Hour goes here.

Re: News Headlines

Postby kygal » 07 Nov 2010, 07:16

Love that quote! Still tired this am even if I gained an hour. No matter what the change is it always takes me a week to adjust! I better get it together...its my sons b-day today!
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 07 Nov 2010, 07:23

(laughs) Yeah, occasionally I trip over something that makes being on Twitter worthwhile.

Happy Birthday to your son, I hope you both have a wonderful day!

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby kygal » 09 Nov 2010, 05:17

Thank you...we had a great day, but still trying to recover!
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 15 Nov 2010, 07:12

Unreal - literally! Japan's latest pop star, despite selling out stadium crowds, doesn't actually... exist. What's her trick?

http://www.switched.com/2010/11/13/3-d- ... id=webmail

What is it with Japan and artificial females in the headlines these days?

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby EHfan » 15 Nov 2010, 08:48

Definitely a cultural thing - I don't see something like that happening in the U.S. But it does make you wonder - WHY in the world would you shell our real money to see something in person (I almost wrote live, but uh, it's, she's not) that you can see for free on your computer?

Joyce
EHfan
Middle Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 15 Nov 2010, 17:57

I have to go back and read the article again -can you see it on the home program, or just hear it? However, yes, it's definitely a cultural thing. Japan does have its anime obsession (which she is certainly styled after), and their own very distinct type of music (in this case, J-pop).

I'm borderline fond of most J-pop, it's a very different sound than what comes out of most American recording studios. Bleach has some lovely opening/closing theme songs, and Nikki did turn me on to a particular J-rock artist named Gackt - who actually looks like an anime character himself in some shots, although he's human. As far as we know, :?

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby EHfan » 30 Nov 2010, 06:55

Ok - for all those out there who scoffed at the science on EH -

Yesterday CNN was running a story about researchers who have found a way to make the telemeres on genes regenerate. Because when the cells age, the telemeres break down. The experiments were on mice, and the net effect was to make the mice "younger."

Uh, "Pinocchio" anyone?

Joyce
EHfan
Middle Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 30 Nov 2010, 08:47

Oh, completely.

(laughs) Anything we saw on EH, if it was not in the scientific headlines already, will be there within the next three to five years. I figured that was pretty well given even when the show was on; human cloning, sorta check, stem cells, check, bio-engineered food, check, nanotech, check, (admittedly not in the same format, but still,) environmental damage due to pollutants, quadruple check, bioterrorism... gods, I hope we don't see more of that, but the anthrax scares a little while back?

So, yeah.

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby luvinx » 30 Nov 2010, 11:06

I saw that too Joyce and thought the same thing. EH was such an essential show for highlighting what is - and what is to come.
luvinx
High Schooler

Postby luvinx » 05 Jan 2011, 10:30

Am I the only one shocked (not in a bad way) by this? I guess I just never thought about it!

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/12/28/miracle-triplets-born-11-years-apart-in-england/?icid=sphere_aol_health

How about this heroic dog? (Yes, I know I am an animal person to the extreme, but I genuinely believe that animals are waaaay smarter than us!)

http://www.petside.com/petsideblog/2010/08/man-thanks-dog-for-eating-his.php?obref=outloud&obref=obnetwork
luvinx
High Schooler

Postby kygal » 06 Jan 2011, 17:24

Interesting articles. Same thing happened here with a dog chewing on a paraplegic mans feet, which already had multiple wounds. The man was hospitalized but he loved his dog!
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 07 Jan 2011, 06:04

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/0 ... 05211.html

Quite frankly, I don't know what to think of this. I'm reluctant to believe the causes are all natural, because that would let me think that the Mayans might be right. I'd much rather blame government experiments gone wrong, but that isn't exactly a comforting thought, either. According to one article (a fast Google of 'dead crabs England' turned up over a million results dealing with the recent mass deaths), there have been at least thirteen separate incidents around the world, including fish in England, Brazil, Canada and New Zealand, and birds in Sweden. The remaining eight incidents have all been reported in the U.S.

Anyone else have thoughts?

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby luvinx » 07 Jan 2011, 10:45

Any conjecture aside, my main worry is mass amounts of animal death - regardless of the cause - is alarming. I doubt it could mean anything even neutral, nevertheless positive. :(
luvinx
High Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 07 Jan 2011, 11:45

There is that.

I'm probably trying to focus on the 'why?' in an attempt not to freak out over the unfortunate 'what.'

It particularly surprises me that most of these incidents are dealing with a single species of wildlife dropping (or floating) dead. Red-winged blackbirds, grackles, crows, mourning doves, velvet crabs. Why the specificity? Certainly a large part of it has to do with what's in the area - such as the crabs - but there aren't any places on the list that I can believe are limited to a single species of bird.

Pigeons in NYC I could understand - gods only know what they can get into - but wild birds in semirural areas? I'm sorry, maybe I'm too skeptical or too alarmist, but I don't buy 'the fireworks scared them.'

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby kygal » 07 Jan 2011, 17:02

Not sure what to think. It all sounds really scary to me!
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby luvinx » 17 Jan 2011, 16:13

luvinx
High Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 18 Jan 2011, 13:08

Sooooo... once they make one, what are they going to do with it? :?

EEEEK! THE MAMMOTH IS TRAMPLING TOKYO!!!!

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby kygal » 19 Jan 2011, 05:13

Yard art anyone!!??
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby luvinx » 19 Jan 2011, 11:37

[quote="ObsidianJade"]Sooooo... once they make one, what are they going to do with it? :?

I know, right?? They were named that for a reason.
luvinx
High Schooler

Postby kygal » 06 Jul 2011, 05:04

Casey Anthony verdict...not what I expected. Having recently served on jury duty, the juror instructions can be very confussing and it is difficult to agree on all the instructions, and can be difficult to understand.
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby kygal » 26 Aug 2011, 04:25

Stay safe East-Coasters!

I know Joyce is ok, hope Sarah and others didnt have damage from the earthquake. Crazy year weather wise!
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby luvinx » 26 Aug 2011, 15:10

I second that. Stay safe everyone!
luvinx
High Schooler

Postby kygal » 11 Sep 2011, 06:34

9-11......will never forget that day. Was at work and thought is was an accident until the second plane hit. Imagine most people thought the same.
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby EHfan » 12 Sep 2011, 16:16

My daughter was sick that day and it was my hubby's turn to stay home. We have sat TV and at the time you couldn't get local channels so our network channels were from NYC. He was watching the local NYC ABC news and called to say that they reporters were saying that there was a terrible accident - that a plane hit one of the two towers. He actually saw the second plane hit live.

To me 9-11 will be like the day Kennedy was shot - you will always remember exactly where you were and what you were doing when you got the news not matter how much time passes.

Joyce
EHfan
Middle Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 14 Sep 2011, 16:08

I was in class - Computers with Mr. Prescott - when our principal came on over the loudspeaker to announce that there had been 'a tragedy in New York' - ten years and I still remember those words exactly, a tragedy in New York - and suggested the teachers turn on the in-room televisions.

The class was watching live as the first tower went down.

Oddly enough, the Police Explorer post I belonged to had a blood drive scheduled for that afternoon. It had been scheduled for months, of course, and I was so annoyed because it was six days before I turned seventeen, and they wouldn't allow me to give blood because I wasn't seventeen. They didn't need mine, in the end - the line at the blood drive went around the building, and by six o'clock we'd run out of supplies and had to begin turning people away.

Mom pulled me out of school until the weekend, as I was going with her to a horse show and would have missed Friday anyway. We had a radio set up in our stabling tent, listening to the news of survivors - and non-survivors - being pulled from the wreckage. We didn't let ourselves watch the television in the hotel room, because we knew we wouldn't be able to stop.

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion