News Headlines

Anything unrelated to Eleventh Hour goes here.

Re: News Headlines

Postby ObsidianJade » 17 Feb 2010, 20:52

If you don't perpetually have a word processing program open, it means you're not writing enough. I have two Pages documents and a TextEdit (.doc) open right now.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby æthre » 17 Feb 2010, 21:34

Technically I have a document entitled baseball.doc (stupid ff.net not liking docx (well, the last time I tried) - I hate using legacy filetypes) as well as What Kate Wrote.doc up (for no reason anymore - I had just copied the header to put in the baseball one) so nyeeeeh.

And I am, in fact, writing in one of the files. I have 779 words, though I feel as if it is going HORRIBLY. Ugh, Castle and Beckett do not sound like Castle and Beckett.

Clearly the solution is to watch more Castle.

BUT, normally, I do not have word open.
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby ObsidianJade » 17 Feb 2010, 21:48

DocX is for read-only - that's what you use if you're submitting it to a Beta.

I have RDBH ch 16 (which I think I finished last night), RDBH ch. 9.5 (supposed to be an interlude and grew to 4k words...), and your What Kate Wrote is still open in TextEdit. Also for no particular reason.

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby æthre » 17 Feb 2010, 21:57

No no, I mean the REAL .docx. It's a filetype - the X stands for XML, which is a markup language. Er, that is, I believe in the case of .docx, the xml makes it pretty (ie, formatting).
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby ObsidianJade » 17 Feb 2010, 23:43

(blinks)

Right then.

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby æthre » 17 Feb 2010, 23:49

XML? Awesome. Just... fyi.
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby ObsidianJade » 18 Feb 2010, 06:12

Awesome, I'll accept. But is it necessary when I have .pages and .doc to work with? Plus the other three exports Pages does (PDF, RTF, (never heard of it...) and PlainText), and I have NeoOffice, which saves as .odt and possibly a few others.

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby æthre » 18 Feb 2010, 10:17

.docx is the current standard for MS Word... so, yes, it is important that you be able to open the filetype. And FF.Net should be able to too.
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby ObsidianJade » 07 Mar 2010, 22:32

Now this is unbelievable - sci-fi is getting closer and closer to the truth every day. Even Gene Roddenberry couldn't have dreamed of this.

http://www.physorg.com/news186681149.html

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby kygal » 08 Mar 2010, 05:54

LOL...what next?
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 08 Mar 2010, 08:29

Probably computers implanted in our brains... we think, they do.

....aaaaand then they rebel, take us over, turn us into zombies, and destroy the human race, :shock: :lol:

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby æthre » 08 Mar 2010, 09:11

Oh, I read that one on engadget already.

XD
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby ObsidianJade » 08 Mar 2010, 09:33

That's where I saw t first, but I neglected to put it up at the time. Thought it was interesting, though. A little scary, but interesting.

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 25 Mar 2010, 07:26

Also along the lines of scary-but-interesting... wit a little more emphasis on the 'scary', this time.

http://www.aolnews.com/nanotech/article ... webmaildl1

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby kygal » 25 Mar 2010, 16:33

Yea...agree...a bit scary!
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 27 Oct 2010, 16:15

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby kygal » 29 Oct 2010, 04:22

I dont think I would want to wake up and see that standing over my hospital bed! Very creepy!
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby kygal » 01 Nov 2010, 16:59

OMG. Is it just me or are politicians getting nastier and nastier. Cant wait for these elections to be over. Might have to vote for myself as a write-in!
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby luvinx » 01 Nov 2010, 19:44

kygal wrote:OMG. Is it just me or are politicians getting nastier and nastier. Cant wait for these elections to be over. Might have to vote for myself as a write-in!

Amen!
luvinx
High Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 02 Nov 2010, 07:29

It's not just you - there's been more shit-slinging on the campaign trail this year than you'd find on a bad day in the monkey house.

The attacks have been more frequent, more personal, and more ridiculous. Everyone - the Tea Party in particular, but all candidates to some degree or another - are spending their time fear-mongering instead of actually promoting themselves. Why is it, too, that everyone uses the exact same attack: 'my opponent will raise taxes and cut jobs!'

Out of all the political ads I have seen and heard over the last far-too-many months.... I can count precisely twice that they have been positive. Twice. Out of the entire campaign season, a grand total of two positive ads?

There should be a law against it.

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby luvinx » 02 Nov 2010, 09:20

It is pretty sad how they spend all their time in their ads saying what "the other guy" did/will do wrong. How about an ad on what the heck YOU are going to do?? What a concept!
luvinx
High Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 02 Nov 2010, 09:32

luvinx wrote:How about an ad on what the heck YOU are going to do?? What a concept!

@LostInHeadSpace (Sarah H.)
I am *beyond* sick of political mudslinging. Just stand up like decent people and tell us what you will do for us!!
18 Oct

Mind you, we've been saying that for how long now? But since when do politicians listen to the people they're supposed to represent?

Found this link and Tweeted it a couple of weeks ago: http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/10/18 ... id=webmail

Proof that we're not imagining the nastiness.

[In a random aside, SpellCheck wants to change my Twitter handle to 'fountainhead.' Uhh, no.]

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby EHfan » 02 Nov 2010, 09:37

They do it because it works. Study after study shows that people remember nastiness better than niceness. All I can hope is that perhaps this election will be the tipping point where people say enough is enough.
EHfan
Middle Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 02 Nov 2010, 12:56

Remember it, yes, but how do they respond to it? - I may be alone in this, but I tend to remember, and have greater respect for, the candidates who actually promote themselves, their good track record and good intentions, rather than flinging criticisms (be they credible or not) at their opponent. The appalling level of negetivity that we've seen this year has just lead to it all being tuned out in sheer self-defense.

'Let he who is without sin cast the first stone'? It strikes me as hypocritical at best that every politician is accusing their opponent of the exact same things - wanting to raise taxes, cause job cuts, damage Medicare, etc. And while they can both be right - raising taxes on different income brackets, job losses in different sectors, and I'm not touching the Medicare question - it's increasingly exhausting listening to these commercials come on back-to-back and be utterly interchangeable except for the names involved.

Positive ads tend to stick in my mind, if for no other reason than I would rather seek positivity in life. With everything going wrong with the world today, more negativity is just... unpleasant. Give the people something to hope for, for a change!

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 06 Nov 2010, 20:08

Re: Election - well, bugger.

In other news, to the Americans in our midst, remember to set your clocks back an hour tonight and catch up on your sleep! Daylight Savings time returns - again.

More words of quotable snark from Twitter:

@aryounce A. R. Younce
Daylight savings time feels like a tax refund check. You're just getting back something you didn't want taken from you in the first place.

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion