Fall

Anything unrelated to Eleventh Hour goes here.

Fall

Postby xFrEAKk » 26 Sep 2010, 16:54

Heey you guys~! I missed all of you! I felt pretty guilty for not posting for a while, so I decided I should at least stir up something!

It's fall again, (without Eleventh Hour...) what else are you guys watching?

I got myself addicted to Castle during the summer, watched every single episode, and I'm also looking forward to the premiere of Human Target coming up this week. Flashpoint ended early, and I'm getting into A&E's new drama The Glades. I just wish I could be looking forward to Eleventh Hour, there, the excitement every Thursday night... I don't think I could ever find a replacement for that.

Anyways, anything new and interesting? (:
xFrEAKk
Grade Schooler

Re: Fall

Postby kygal » 27 Sep 2010, 04:39

Great to have you back! Yes... tv is not the same. I do try to catch a little Castle here and there. I also liked the Glades. Have also enjoyed some of the silly sitcums...like Modern Family. Watching more cable and less network these days. Oh...I forgot...I do like that show Lie to Me.
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby EHfan » 27 Sep 2010, 07:23

Just about the only thing I watch on the networks these days is NCIS. On cable, I watch Burn Notice, The Closer, Leverage, and The Glades. Used to wathc Pscyh, but it got so silly last season I gave up on it. Glad to hear though that Human Target is coming back. It's a cartoon but I lke the characters so I'm willing to suspend an extra amount of disbelief!

Joyce
EHfan
Middle Schooler

Postby rueful2 » 28 Sep 2010, 06:04

Hi, Kalli! Nice to hear from you again! I'm like the others now--I watch mostly cable shows, and most of them seem to be summer shows, like The Closer and In Plain Sight. I have a couple of network shows that have been on a while like 30 Rock, so I follow them, but not closely. None of the new shows on the networks have really looked that interesting to me, and even if they did, as we know, the networks cancel so fast, that I don't really want to invest in anything that will be pulled away immediately. This isn't just because of EH, but that was the last straw. I also watch reality shows that really have no characters for me to care about, like cooking shows or home and garden shows or documentaries.

Sorry to be such a downer in response to your great question--I hope you find lots of things you like this year, even if EH can't ever be replaced!
Last edited by rueful2 on 28 Sep 2010, 08:06, edited 1 time in total.
rueful2
Middle Schooler

Postby EHfan » 28 Sep 2010, 06:12

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about In Plain Sight. Love that one. I think that the cable series are better (and attract better actors) since they have limited runs during the year. Gives them a chance to do other things unlike the grind of a network series. The cable channels are also satisfied with smaller audiences so they seem to be willing to take chances on more challenging scripts - ones that you have to pay attention to, not just relying on special effects a la CSI.

Joyce
EHfan
Middle Schooler

Postby kygal » 28 Sep 2010, 15:25

I also like In Plain Sight...what is it about a tuff woman and nerdy smart guy...sound familiar? Although the lead man is not a hot as Rufus! Network tv is all the same. Very tired of CSI and the rest.
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 28 Sep 2010, 17:00

Hope nobody was a fan of the new Fox series Lone Star - that got dropped after a grand total of two episodes. I hadn't ever watched it, so I can't attest to the quality of the show, but still! WTF, Fox?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby EHfan » 28 Sep 2010, 18:52

ObsidianJade wrote:Hope nobody was a fan of the new Fox series Lone Star - that got dropped after a grand total of two episodes. I hadn't ever watched it, so I can't attest to the quality of the show, but still! WTF, Fox?

Why I no longer will watch new network shows. They need huge audiences and the network suits won't let a show grow and develop an audience.

My husband has been DVRing Hawaii 5-0. Saw an episode today. Aside from the title and names of the characters it has nothing to do with the original. Why do they bother?

Joyce
EHfan
Middle Schooler

Postby xFrEAKk » 28 Sep 2010, 19:36

This "In Plain Sight" sounds interesting, but I don't wanna spend like another whole week dedicated to catching up three seasons...? (The guy's hot, but nothing compared to Rufus.) Maybe I'll do catching up in the summer... One time I spent 10 hours on a school day after coming home, watching episodes of 'Castle'.

Yeah, I get caught up in that "New Show" thing, but sometimes the promos are so catchy, the lure you in, get you addicted, then suddenly give you a cold turkey.

Lie to me also sounded pretty good, ... Oh dear, so much stuff... xD
xFrEAKk
Grade Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 28 Sep 2010, 21:00

Lie to Me is very good, although I confess I missed the most recent season due to scheduling issues on my end.

Did try out one new show - ABC's 'No Ordinary Family,' which actually aired tonight. Entertaining if overused notion, well-chosen actors even if Michael Chiklis is perpetually typecast. Plot is a little slow to start but fun overall. It might manage a season, maybe two if it's lucky?

End thoughts: Enjoyable but not overwhelming. Needs to do some serious work to set itself apart from other 'OMG we're superheros!' media - so far rings very much along the lines of 'Fantastic Four' crossed with 'The Incredibles.'

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby rueful2 » 29 Sep 2010, 10:53

I also usually watch Lie to Me, even though now I'm watching it mostly for Tim Roth and his chemistry with the female lead, Kellie Williams. I enjoyed the first season reasonably well, because it was a good blend of (pseudo)science-based drama and character interaction, but then they changed show runners. At the behest of the idiot network, as usual.

Now every week the case "is personal," and they seem to have eliminated virtually all of the science in favor of the melodramatic and explosive. I don't mind relationships, in fact that's usually the most important part of a show to me, like in EH, but if the lead character's family and friends are in danger every episode, it gets really silly. It's like Murder She Wrote, where one began to question why all these stupid people kept inviting Jessica Fletcher and her good friend the Grim Reaper to their houses for the weekend.
rueful2
Middle Schooler

Postby EHfan » 29 Sep 2010, 15:30

rueful2 wrote:It's like Murder She Wrote, where one began to question why all these stupid people kept inviting Jessica Fletcher and her good friend the Grim Reaper to their houses for the weekend.

Rue,

I had to laugh at this. I'm on a mystery discussion list and the "Jessica Fletcher Syndrome" comes up regularly. The point is that it takes a very talented writer to come up with a reason, time after time, for an amateur to be involed in crimes. I gave up on Lie to Me for this very reason - I mean, the very reason for the Institute is to consult on crimes, and yet, every freaking week it's personal??? Why in the world would they do that? They don't need to, so it's a choice on the part of the writers/network.

Joyce
EHfan
Middle Schooler

Postby rueful2 » 29 Sep 2010, 23:50

EHfan wrote:Why in the world would they do that? They don't need to, so it's a choice on the part of the writers/network.

Exactly! I used to laugh about it, but I actually didn't mind it as much on Murder She Wrote, because that was the premise of the show, and Angela Lansbury is great, and with all the ancient guest stars on parole from the SAG senior center, basically the whole show was like The Love Boat, but with more death.

But Tim Roth, you are no Angela Lansbury! Just kidding, I love Tim Roth. I just want my cheesy shows to be cheesy and my moderately realistic shows to try to keep at least some credibility.
rueful2
Middle Schooler

Postby luvinx » 30 Sep 2010, 11:14

I watched the first 2 episodes of The Event and thought it was okay.

Unfortunately, with shows like this, we have all been so dis-sensitized by the likes of 24 and Lost that it is very hard to entertain. What has not been done before, you know?

I can still be okay with some shows because I love the relationships that form and sometimes that can make the series for me, even if other things are lacking. Not that the networks let the shows get that far anymore though...

"Oh, that show has aired once and did not have 50 millions viewers....axe it!"
luvinx
High Schooler

Postby xFrEAKk » 30 Sep 2010, 17:50

luvinx wrote:"Oh, that show has aired once and did not have 50 millions viewers....axe it!"

God, don't you just wish you could turn that axe around?

EHfan wrote:I mean, the very reason for the Institute is to consult on crimes, and yet, every freaking week it's personal??? Why in the world would they do that?

Haha 'why'? My question is how? I haven't watched Lie To Me, but in my imagination as of right now is: Episode 1- mother is kidnapped.
Episode 2- brother is caught in shootout.
Episode 3- cousin is found assaulting cop.
Episode 4- sister-in-law was a witness to a bank robbery.
Episode 7- brother in law's girlfriend's sister's dog walker is found dead.
Episode 8- etc.

Lol maybe not like that, but the idea, maybe a bit redundant?
xFrEAKk
Grade Schooler

Postby rueful2 » 01 Oct 2010, 08:44

:lol: Kalli, you have shown yourself to be perfectly prepared to be a show runner! Don't forget all us little people when you reach the top. :D
rueful2
Middle Schooler

Postby xFrEAKk » 03 Oct 2010, 14:22

Of course I wont forget, maybe I'll even write you all in in the scene where the main characters brother's friends, cousin's step-father's daughter's son's teacher's old nanny's babysitter goes to meet his mother's tutor's role-model's cousin-in-law's 15th cousin's chimney-cleaner's dinner party that gets raided by his sister's half-brother's........
xFrEAKk
Grade Schooler

Postby onepercentclub » 06 Oct 2010, 21:54

Not very excited about the fall season, but Lie to Me and Bones keep me interested.

I spent the summer watching Haven (http://www.syfy.com/haven), based on the Colorado Kid by Stephen King. It's pretty good and it's getting better. Season finale is next Friday.
onepercentclub
Middle Schooler

Postby rueful2 » 07 Oct 2010, 09:27

Hey, Lu, nice to hear from you! I haven't watched Bones very much, but I find it entertaining when I see it. I always plan to borrow my sister's dvds but never get around to it.

xfreakk wrote:Of course I wont forget, maybe I'll even write you all in in the scene where the main characters brother's friends, cousin's step-father's daughter's son's teacher's old nanny's babysitter goes to meet his mother's tutor's role-model's cousin-in-law's 15th cousin's chimney-cleaner's dinner party that gets raided by his sister's half-brother's...

:D
rueful2
Middle Schooler

Postby onepercentclub » 07 Oct 2010, 13:24

Hey Rue!!! Good to be back :D

Bones is mmhhh okay but I hope it gets better. It needs to get better.

But well, at least SyFy didn't do to me what CBS did, cancelling a show. Haven has been renewed for a second season and it feels great after fighting for Eleventh Hour with CBS last year.
onepercentclub
Middle Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 07 Oct 2010, 22:01

Bones is a good series at the core (although Nikki might disagree with me at this point, but she's not here, so....) It's very humorous, and the character interaction is great, although they've thrown a bit of a twist in this season who's making my teeth ache.

The only real issue I have with the series is what I termed the 'Bouncing Turkey Effect' - the occasional blatant disregard for actual science in the name of humor and/or furthering a plot point/device. So named due to a sequence in one episode, in which a turkey was frozen in liquid nitrogen for an experiment in calculating the shatter dispersal of a body likewise frozen. When dropped, instead of shattering (as it would do in real life) the turkey bounced.

So did my head, off the nearest wall, but that's somewhat beside the point.

Tonight's episode featured a melty man covered in popcorn maggots, which actually managed to play off as hilarious rather than utterly disgusting. Which is saying a lot - I hate maggots.

/ramble

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby rueful2 » 08 Oct 2010, 05:47

Tonight's episode featured a melty man covered in popcorn maggots, which actually managed to play off as hilarious rather than utterly disgusting. Which is saying a lot - I hate maggots.

Well that just sounds gross. That is probably the only problem I have with the episodes I've seen--their apparent need to be as disgusting as possible. It's one of the things that have turned me off to the various CSI shows over the years.

Speaking of the network that shall not be named, I read an article last week talking about how the new show with Tom Selleck is such a hit for them and how they're so satisfied with it--it manages to draw in 12 million viewers every week! Now why does that number sound so annoyingly familiar to me? :evil:
rueful2
Middle Schooler

Postby EHfan » 08 Oct 2010, 05:52

rueful2 wrote:the new show with Tom Selleck is such a hit for them and how they're so satisfied with it--it manages to draw in 12 million viewers every week!

It's all about timing. 12 mil on a Friday night is considered awesome. If they had only tried EH on another day or time I'm willing to bet we'd be starting the 3d season this year. EH was the perfect Friday night series - appealed to grown-ups, the ones sitting home watching TV on a Friday night.

Joyce
EHfan
Middle Schooler

Postby rueful2 » 08 Oct 2010, 05:57

But they never even gave it a chance anywhere else, even thought it makes much more fiscal sense to try to maintain a show in production than start up a new one. It was weird. They rarely advertised it, they kept pre-empting it, they only showed reruns once or possibly twice. I still think there was someone at the top there who didn't like the show.
rueful2
Middle Schooler

Postby kygal » 09 Oct 2010, 05:53

Lots of things never made sense about the whole cancellation thing. Its very clear the show should have been given another chance, another season! Someone with power did have an axe to grind with the show or with someone involved in the show. I still dont understand the whole dvd thing also...all very weird. Yes its a conspiracy! I better not get started !
kygal
Middle Schooler

Next

Return to General Discussion