Movies, Music, and Novels, Oh My!

Anything unrelated to Eleventh Hour goes here.

Re: Movies, Music, and Novels, Oh My!

Postby kygal » 12 Dec 2011, 06:37

Did you see Valentines Day? Its similar. Several storylines of peoples lives on New Years Day. The storylines are all related. To many big name actors to mention. JBJ plays a singer who performs at a party and then on stage, he is trying to win back a woman he left a year ago and still loves (Katherine Heigel). Its a cute movie.
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 12 Dec 2011, 10:49

I haven't seen Valentine's Day, but I have seen Love Actually, sounds like a similar theme.

Also, *snorts*, I distinctly remember Jon stating once in an interview that he would 'never play a rock star in a movie.' Way to stick to your guns, cowboy.

(Last line is me doing Jovi-jokes, :? )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8gX4TC4QKM

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby kygal » 13 Dec 2011, 05:14

HaHa. Never say never...it often bites! Thanks for the vid!!
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 13 Dec 2011, 06:26

Honey, you don't have to thank me for stuffing my obsessions down your throat, :lol: I just thought it was a fun vid; I actually hadn't seen it before I went looking for it to give context to my snark, and I wound up crossposting the link to the BJRPS boards as well.

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby kygal » 14 Dec 2011, 05:21

I have always liked JBJ. Call me a sap but I like that he is still married to his hs sweetheart. We all have our obsessions, mine are Bruce Springsteen and Rufus Sewell. My hubby dosent seem to mind...I guess he feels no REAL threat from them...haha!
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby kygal » 31 Dec 2011, 06:40

Anyone see any good movies over the holidays? I wanted to see War Horse but havent yet.
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 01 Jan 2012, 18:08

Whole family went out to see The Muppet Movie (getting James to go is a greater accomplishment than you can imagine) and we had a blast. It's played very tongue-in-cheek and true to the times, but hugely entertaining and a great soundtrack. Certainly worth seeing if you want some good family-friendly laughs.

Still haven't seen New Year's Eve, although I'm thinking of heading back to see Real Steel at the dollar theatre.

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby kygal » 03 Jan 2012, 05:16

Anxious to hear what you think about NYE if/when you see it. Like I said, not an award winner but it was fun. Thanks for the advice about the Muppet Movie. I like feel-good movies!
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 03 Jan 2012, 18:59

I'm hoping to see NYE at some point in the near future, just have to wait until it makes the transition to the dollar theatre, since it's already out of the main shows around here.

Completely forgot to mention that I'd seen Hugo as well - utterly brilliant film, beautifully done. Constant twists and turns to the plot keep you guessing and on the edge of your seat throughout. Very beautiful, also a feel-good that I would gladly see again.

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby kygal » 05 Jan 2012, 05:24

I kind of stayed clear from all the movie theaters around the holidays, especially Christmas. They are all located around a shopping area, and I couldnt stand the thought of all that traffic mess since I was done early with shopping. We have every movie channel know to man thru cable tv, so what I dont see out I will see at home. The wait can be hard. I do enjoying going to a movie. Still want to see We Bought A Zoo and War Horse!
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 11 Feb 2012, 22:15

The music world lost a legend today - Whitney Houston died Saturday afternoon at the age of 48.

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby luvinx » 11 Feb 2012, 22:23

48 years old. My God. :(
luvinx
High Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 11 Feb 2012, 22:34

Far too sad and far too young.

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby kygal » 12 Feb 2012, 07:15

Amazing voice. Sad news.
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby kygal » 29 Mar 2012, 07:17

Anyone seen any good movies lately or read any good books? That movie preview I saw a while ago that I said was District 9 was actually Hungar Games. Havent sen it yet though.
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby kygal » 30 Mar 2012, 04:47

I have read all the JD Robb In Death Series. Have now started on Michael Connellys Harry Bosch books.
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby luvinx » 01 Apr 2012, 14:47

Rented HOP for my son - pretty cute.
luvinx
High Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 09 Jul 2012, 22:12

Hey ladies, sorry I haven't been around much. Hectic schedule and just got our power back today after the storms ten days ago.

Curious if anyone's had a chance to see ALVH yet, and what you thought of it?

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby kygal » 10 Jul 2012, 05:17

I saw it and did not think it was as good as the book, which is usual. It really wasnt my type of movie and I only went to see it because Rufus was it in. With that said , I thought he did a great job and he looked mightly fine in the role. He made you sympathize that he was trying to do best for his kind, if that makes any sense. I think reviews are mixed but most enjoyed the actors portrayals. I think Joyce liked it better than me....Joyce?

Great to hear from you!

Rufus + Leather = Yummy!
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby EHfan » 10 Jul 2012, 07:30

Sarah -

Yikes - 10 days without power and in this heat??? Hope things are settling down for you now.

As of ALVH - I did like the movie more than Susan did. It was not the violent, gory action flick the trailers promised and for me that was a good thing. I wound not recommend it in 3D. I only saw it that way since the theater I went to did not segregate out the times for 3D and normal and I showed up for one of the 3D times The 3D is necessary for maybe 2 parts of the movie - the hyped stampede scene (from the trailer) and the big fight scene near the end.

Yes, the movie is not as good as the book, but how often does that happen anyway? As a movie I thought it worked well, once you swallow the premise, it flowed smoothly. I have to say though that Dominic Cooper and Rufus stole the movie. Dominic was excellent as Harry Sturgis, Abe's vampire-hunting mentor. Very sauve, world weary, and at the same time passionate. Rufus, well he was Rufus. He gave Adam a great deal of dignity - he played him as a statesman not a villian. He had two absolutely perfect lines: "Dinner is served" (you've got the see the movie for that scene alone) and near the end of the fight scene. Rufus comes striding out of the fire bellowing "Mr. President, this ends TONIGHT." Sent chills down my spine.

All in all - worth seeing without Rufus, well worth seeing with him. As Susan also rightly pointed out, Rufus + leather = yummy.

Joyce
EHfan
Middle Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 08 Aug 2012, 19:40

Anyone else seen Rock of Ages? I finally saw it Monday, adored it, and went back to see it again today.

Loved the soundtrack (I bought it the same afternoon of the first viewing), and very impressed with the singing ability of the cast, Tom Cruise especially. What really sold the movie for me, though, was the very sweet, very adorable, surprisingly drama-free get-together of two of the characters, which I won't spoil if you haven't seen it, but you can guess who I mean if you have!

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby kygal » 10 Aug 2012, 04:18

Havent seen it yet. I have heard from many that it is good. Hopefully it will be on one of the movie channels soon. Last movie I saw was Spiderman, not bad.
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 10 Aug 2012, 20:27

Spider-Man was an interesting reboot, very typical of Marvel's usual 'no, wait, let's retcon THIS!' M.O. Would have liked to have seen it tied into the Avengers franchise (in the comics he eventually joins up with them), but licensing disputes prevented that from happening.

Rock of Ages was pretty awesome, although I admit I'm somewhat biased; I'm among the ever-smaller percentage of the population that still really likes Tom Cruise, and the soundtrack of my life pretty much came straight from the eighties, so there's not a lot of ways the movie could have missed for me.

That said, it's a very well-done movie. The cast does all their own singing, and Tom absolutely owns the character of Stacee Jaxx. If acting ever fails him, he has the charisma to make it as an arena rock star. IMHO, his performance of 'Pour Some Sugar On Me' is not to be missed. So here, don't miss it! :lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D35KdQKNeW0&feature=related

I'll add that it's the first role I've ever seen Alec Baldwin in where I actually *liked* him, usually I think he's just a smarmy bastard, but his Dennis Dupree wound up becoming my favorite character in the movie.

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby kygal » 12 Aug 2012, 05:50

Thanks for the link. Nothing like music of the 80's. Even my kids enjoy it. No matter what anyone thinks of Tom Cruise, he always delivers a great performance. I will keep an eye out for this. Like I said, I have only heard great things about this movie. Didnt see The Avengers eighter, but heard it was good. Seems I have fallen behind on movies lately, but I usually catch up on dvd or movie channels...not the same though.
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 12 Aug 2012, 08:11

Posting the link just gives me an excuse to watch that clip again. And again. And again, :lol:

Avengers was incredible. And if you've got a theatre near you that gets the movies after they leave regular shows - we have a 'cheap' theatre in Lynchburg that gets them late - Avengers might well still be there. It spent over two months in main shows, which is.... well, pretty much unheard of, but it's a record-breaker. It's allowed.

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion