Movies, Music, and Novels, Oh My!

Anything unrelated to Eleventh Hour goes here.

Re: Movies, Music, and Novels, Oh My!

Postby ObsidianJade » 13 Jan 2010, 23:33

Just saw Eagle Eye; short summary - Holy F**k WOW. Amazing. I don't think my pulse dropped below 100 after the first ten minutes.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby kygal » 14 Jan 2010, 17:26

So many great movies out...I have not been to the theater since New Moon was out. My kids got The Hangover, The Proposal, and Marley and Me (cant watch the end). So thats about the quality of movie I have seen lately...really do need to get out! Missed alot of the good movies out around the holidays. We do have many movie channels with cable...some should be on soon.
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 14 Jan 2010, 19:29

I so want to see Proposal, <3 Sanda Bullock. I want to see the Blind Side, too. Among a half-dozen or so others, :roll:

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby kygal » 15 Jan 2010, 05:23

The Proposal is a fun...feel-good movie!
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby xFrEAKk » 22 Jan 2010, 17:13

I LOVE Eagle Eye! SUCH a great movie! It's one of my favorite movies, actually.

I just saw Avatar yesterday, it was pretty awesome.... My favorite character was Trudy. :P

I was going to see Sherlock Holmes with a friend today, but I missed it... D: I'm going to see it a different day.

Oh there's a Tom Cruise movie coming out in July and it looks GREAT. I really want to see it! Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdd1SrsbsOQ
xFrEAKk
Grade Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 22 Jan 2010, 18:37

A friend and I were going to hook up and catch Avatar, but she wound up having knee surgery, :| . I'm going to see if I can get away for a bit this Sunday, since it's supposed to be pouring rain and I won't be able to work outside.... And I have a Barnes and Noble gift card left over from Christmas, so I can do movies and books!!! :D :D Perfect afternoon right there!

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 23 Apr 2010, 19:25

BON JOVI IS AMAZING.

Most phenomenal concert of my life!!!! The man hasn't slowed down a bit; still sounds amazing, bouncing all over the stage, and gods, what a showman!!! Sang every one of my favorties (and I have enough!) I spent the entire time on my feet, pumping my fists in the air and bouncing right back for a good portion of the time - frankly, I'm amazed I was able to move this morning!

Bottom line: Even if you only like Bon Jovi a little, GO. The show was worth every penny (and I paid $150 apiece for tickets, for my mother and myself, but they were pretty decent seats...) Quite honestly, if I could get tickets to the next show, I'd drop the same amount again tonight just so I could go again. It was seriously THAT GOOD.

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby kygal » 12 Jul 2010, 06:18

Forgot to mention I saw Eclipse opening day while on vacation. Having a teen daughter I guess I am on my way to see all of these movies. Dont laugh...we also wore vampire shirts...who says I am not a fun mom!
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby kygal » 15 Aug 2010, 14:44

Anyone seen any good movies lately?
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 25 Aug 2010, 06:52

Saw Karate Kid much earlier this summer; that one gets a 10+, amazing remake. Sorcerer's Apprentice also great for an escape, maybe... 6.5 or 7 out of 10? Not exactly in-depth, but a good beach-book of a movie, plenty of laughs and not requiring excessive amounts of deep thought.

Going to try to catch Inception one of these days; that looks intense. Anyone seen it?

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby kygal » 26 Aug 2010, 15:38

Thanks for the info. My son saw Inception and really liked it. I think you would like it. Heard the ending is interesting! Let me know what you think if you see it.
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 27 Oct 2010, 21:15

On the 'music' end of the spectrum - I was in Barnes and Noble the other day. Those of you who frequent the store will know that they always have music running in the background, and the CDs are always available for purchase. Normally, I more or less tune it out - no pun intended! - but when a rock-touched cover of one of my favorite pieces of classical music, Toccata and Fugue, came on, I couldn't resist.

(listen to that track here) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUd-wEjl99k

I pretty much pounced on the girl working in the A/V department, and happily went home with David Garrett's Rock Symphony CD, which includes classical covers of rock classics like Walk This Way and Live and Let Die, as well as rock covers of classical greats like Beethoven's 5th, and of course Bach's Toccata.

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby kygal » 29 Oct 2010, 04:26

Hey...I enjoyed that. Might have to add that to my collection and listen to something instead of Bruce!

Anyone besides RT people see Sherlock on PBS Masterpeice. Enjoyed this modern version.
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby kygal » 28 Nov 2010, 06:58

Forgot to mention I saw Harry Potter a week ago. Liked it but I had not seen the last couple of them so I was a little behind. Did anyone else see...or like?

Taking my mom to the Trans Siberian Orchestra concert on Wed. Have never seen them...will let you know what I think.
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby luvinx » 05 Dec 2010, 23:52

Finally saw HP! Not too shabby. The director finally decided to actually read the books. YAY!
luvinx
High Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 06 Dec 2010, 22:22

luvinx wrote:The director finally decided to actually read the books.

Huh, maybe I'll risk going and taking a look at that one, then... I stopped watching the movies after the third one because I couldn't stand to watch the plot butchered. Mind, the only literature-to-movie I've ever found entirely satisfactory was Lord of the Rings and the first Chronicles of Narnia movie - the second one was very pretty but again, hello, plot does not do that! - so, as Nikki has pointed out, yes, I'm picky.

Kicked back with the family tonight and watched Wall-E for the first time. Very cute, but Cars is still my favorite Pixar movie. Largely because Doc Hudson is the epitome of cool. Half-terrified of what's going to happen to Doc in the second movie next year without Paul Newman...

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby kygal » 31 Dec 2010, 05:33

Forgot to mention here that I saw The Tourist early Dec. Only went to see the 5 min and couple of lines of the lovely Rufus Sewell. It was worth it to see him on the big screen. Went totally nuts and bought a region free dvd player so I could order his Zen dvd early from the UK. Can you tell I am a bit mad for him! Family did vote against me and we saw Little Fockers on X-mas eve...it was just ok. Lots of interesting movies out right now.
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby luvinx » 16 Jul 2011, 14:03

The last Harry Potter movie was awesome! I am speechless and urge you all to go see it. Simply breathtaking. They finally did the whole thing right! Just....wow!
luvinx
High Schooler

Postby kygal » 18 Nov 2011, 05:19

Anyone seen any good movies lately. Will see the Twilight movie this weekend with my daughter...the things we do!
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 19 Nov 2011, 11:23

I saw Real Steel about a month ago and was absolutely blown away. It seems like kind of a throwaway movie (Hollywood does Rock'em-Sock'em Robots, rlly?), but it's actually amazing. I adore Hugh Jackman anyway, but his character's son (played by Dakota Goyo) is actually the show-stealer.

Keep in mind this is coming from someone who avoids children like plague carriers.

But, yeah, if you have a taste for action movies, this one's a must-see. Speaking of which, anyone seen the latest Three Musketeers remake? I haven't gotten around to that one yet, although I'm hoping to, and I'd love to know if it has anything other than Orlando to recommend it, :D

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby kygal » 20 Nov 2011, 07:00

LOL at the kid thing. Have not seen The Three Musketeers but have usually enjoyed most versions of that. The next Sherlock Holmes movie looks good. My daughter also thought District 12 looked good as far as previews go. I thought the kid flick We Bought A Zoo looks good...haha.
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 20 Nov 2011, 20:06

I haven't seen the first Sherlock movie yet, sadly, although I did want to at the time. Maybe it's on Amazon....

Haha, Mom and I are going to see Puss in Boots at some point (we adored him in the Shrek movies), and we're dragging James to see the Muppet movie when it comes out. (Getting James to the movies is like whut?!, :lol: )

Haven't even heard of District 12, what's that one about?

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby kygal » 21 Nov 2011, 05:19

I saw the preview for D-12 and still not sure what itsa all about. Looked futuristic where these young people lived in a camp under adult rule. They pick 12 to train and have them compete out in the wilderness where only one can win. Somthing like that! I couldnt get anyone to see Puss in Boots with me.
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby kygal » 11 Dec 2011, 06:59

Saw the movie New Years Eve yesterday. It wont win an academy award but it was a cute feel good movie. Had Bon Jovi in it Sarah!
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 11 Dec 2011, 16:11

I know, it's already been a subject of discussion on the BJRPS boards. To be entirely honest, I know nothing about the movie, though! Educate me? :D

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion