Movies, Music, and Novels, Oh My!

Anything unrelated to Eleventh Hour goes here.

Movies, Music, and Novels, Oh My!

Postby ObsidianJade » 05 Nov 2009, 20:29

Just because there aren't already enough random topics in this category....

Seen any great movies lately? Rocked it out at a concert? Found an engrossing novel? Share! :D

I, for one, recently went to see This Is It in theatres, the movie of Michal Jackson's. It's a fascinating movie, particularly for someone my age, who never saw MJ at his peak. Filmed during rehearsals for the final tour, it is a compilation of perhaps a week's worth of footage. Aside from the interesting factor of getting to see the technical aspect of setting up a concert of that caliber, you get to see Michael, if not in prime condition, then certainly in amazing shape for a man of his age and history. The music, as well as the movie itself, is excellent, a fitting tribute to the King of Pop and a masterful final tour.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Re: Movies, Music, and Novels, Oh My!

Postby onepercentclub » 06 Nov 2009, 13:07

I'm glad to read good things about the film. I don't think I'll see it, I was never a fan of his but still, it's great.

I've read good reviews about a film called 'Defiance' will Daniel Craig. Has anyone see it?
onepercentclub
Middle Schooler

Postby æthre » 06 Nov 2009, 19:05

I watched The Princess Bride last night. 'tis good! Held up really well considering that it is older than I am. But that is why I love SF&F - most of those books (and occasionally the movies) hold up really well to the passage of time.
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby ObsidianJade » 06 Nov 2009, 20:13

Always one of my favorite movies, which is impressive considering it stacks up against Miyazaki films, the LotR trilogy, etc. (And Van Helsing. Hugh Jackman = yum. Particularly in leather.)

I just started reading a novel called Sarum, anyone heard of it? The thing could double as a cinderblock, it's nearly a thousand pages. I didn't seek it out, my Boss's husband randomly dropped it in my lap one day because it's called the Novel of England, and he knows my father is a Brit. I question his reasoning, but so far, I'm really enjoying the book. It should keep me occupied for the next two weeks or so. (The sad thing is, yes, I mean the next two weeks or so.)

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby æthre » 07 Nov 2009, 11:27

Nope, never heard of it, XD
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby onepercentclub » 10 Nov 2009, 17:25

æthre wrote:I watched The Princess Bride last night. 'tis good! Held up really well considering that it is older than I am. But that is why I love SF&F - most of those books (and occasionally the movies) hold up really well to the passage of time.

That movie is really good. Cary Elwes yummy!
onepercentclub
Middle Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 10 Nov 2009, 18:31

onepercentclub wrote:Cary Elwes yummy!

Very much so! Did he ever do anything after TPB? Certainly I don't recall seeing his name anywhere else....

Wes and Inigo were always my favorites, of course. Sharp shiny things (and the people that wield them) FTW.

'My name is Inigo Montoya. You kill my father. Prepare to die.'

<3 <3 <3

Edit: Note to self: check IMDb *before* asking stupid questions. Evidently he's had minor roles in just about everything, plus he played Robin Hood in RH: Men in Tights, which is one of my favorite stupid!comedies.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000144/

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby æthre » 10 Nov 2009, 21:43

I watched because someone told me that Mandy Patinkin plays Inigo Montoya.
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby onepercentclub » 10 Nov 2009, 22:43

And he was in The X-Files! And 'Kiss the Girls'. He was the bad guy.
onepercentclub
Middle Schooler

Postby æthre » 11 Nov 2009, 10:00

Huh, I watched the XF before watching Criminal Minds so I missed that awesomeness...
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby ObsidianJade » 16 Nov 2009, 20:43

I realize this isn't exactly 'on-topic' (which is sad, given that I'm the one who started this topic), but I didn't want to make another thread for random day trips.

Had the day off today (for a change), so Mom and I took off to the Virginia Safari Park (http://www.virginiasafaripark.com/index.htm) - it's a drive-through deal, with tons of miscellaneous antelopes, oryx, llamas, elk, even yaks and bison. It was so cool. I got to pet a wildebeest!!! And I kissed a llama on the lips, which was more pleasant than it sounds.

The only real downside is that we came home smelling rather strongly of goat, but it was well worth it. It's a huge park, probably a few hundred acres, all the animals are well-tended and healthy, and there is a separate section of the park where they have a pair of tigers, absolutely beautiful.

<3 big cats.

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby kygal » 22 Nov 2009, 13:25

I guess I am back in the running for mother -of -the- year...sat thru a Jonas Brothers concert in August and the New Moon movie today with my 14 yr old daughter (shes an Edward fan). She has read all the books many times...I have not. But saw both movies with her. I did like them both...first one better. Did ,however,think what a hot and sexy vampire Rufus would make...bite me...hehehe. The previews for Sherlock Holmes also looked good- comming out Christmas day if you like that sort of thing.........
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 22 Nov 2009, 17:26

I've read the Twilight saga - once. For a die-hard vampire fan, it's laughable... She takes every accepted piece of vampire lore, balls it up, stomps on it, burns it, and throws the ashes out the window. And Bella's whiny. I'm a Jacob fan myself, but frankly, Bella and Edward deserve each other, :roll: .

Other than that, they're passable books. Harry Potter is a much better series, though. As far as the movies go, New Moon looks interesting. It's amazing what they can do with special effects these days, isn't it?

The Sherlock Holmes movie.... has nothing whatsoever to do with Sherlock Holmes, but it looks very good. Although I think the upcoming Avatar movie looks very, very good. Blue aliens and human hypocrisy, mmm!

Edit: Oh, yes, and Re: Rufus as a vampire = OMG*dies*!!!!! He would be the Sexiest. Vampire. EVER.

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby kygal » 23 Nov 2009, 16:32

I think I read somewhere that Rufus was up against Tom Cruise for the role in Interview With A Vampire...of course Tom got the role. I think I have gone Rufus crazy...every movie I see I think he would be good in...like a role in Harry P and Sherlock Holmes and............

I think Harry P is better also and Avatar looks great to...lots of good movies out.
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 23 Nov 2009, 20:35

(chuckles) So many movies, so little time.

And I didn't watch any of the HP movies past the third one, they bugger over the plot of the books so badly....

Not as badly as Eragon, though. For a good series of books, the movie was nightmarishly bad. I mean, yes, the dragon was involved, but that was about where the similarity ended.

Wow. I'm a critic. :D

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby kygal » 24 Nov 2009, 16:30

I am not much of a reader...except magazines. Seems like the movies really never live up to the books. If EH doesnt come back to the visual screen anytime soon...I would love SG to at least write books based on this series...guess I would get back to reading!!! I have enjoyed the fanfics though...tend to have more time to read short stories...shame...I miss out on so much a book offers..
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby æthre » 24 Nov 2009, 18:54

I wanna see New Moon cuz of Christopher Heyerdahl.
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby ObsidianJade » 24 Nov 2009, 20:15

Because of Sanctuary or Stargate?

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby æthre » 24 Nov 2009, 21:12

BOTH.

He plays my absolute FAVOURITE Wraith as well as Jack the Ripper. Todd <3 <3
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby ObsidianJade » 24 Nov 2009, 22:49

From Jack the Ripper to a psychotic vampire.... I'm really not sure if that's an improvement....

Ugh I think I have pie crust coming out of my EARS.

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby æthre » 27 Nov 2009, 22:19

Yeah, it's not an improvement. But it is, however, money.
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby ObsidianJade » 27 Nov 2009, 22:34

Yeah. Vampires definitely pay more.

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby æthre » 28 Nov 2009, 01:00

Preteen psycho fans pay more than a self funded show airing on Syfy that started as a webseries. Not sure if it is vampires - there are vampires in Sanctuary and the Wraith are essentially vampires themselves. They're human hybrids who feed off the life force of humanity.
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby ObsidianJade » 28 Nov 2009, 07:35

Ah, but, you see, if the Wraith don't have fangs, they're not vampires. Fangs are sexy.

Which is why I don't understand why the Twilight vampires have drawn such a huge frickin' following.

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby æthre » 28 Nov 2009, 19:38

Their fangs are in their hands. And they can even anti-vampire.

Also, Wraith+sexy does NOT belong in the same sentence *shudders* They're crossbred with a BUG. Like, ewwww!
-Nikki
æthre
President

Next

Return to General Discussion