The Forgotten

Anything unrelated to Eleventh Hour goes here.

The Forgotten

Postby onepercentclub » 20 Sep 2009, 14:45

Well, since we are all SG's fans due to Eleventh Hour, I decided to start this thread about his latest show. The show will premiere next Tuesday at 10 pm ET on ABC, so please don't forget to watch.

I watched the first 20 minutes on tv.com and I really enjoyed it.

Here's the link:
http://www.tv.com/video/26831/First+Loo ... head;video

What do you think?
onepercentclub
Middle Schooler

Re: The Forgotten

Postby jrzgrl11 » 24 Sep 2009, 08:58

I watched this last night and was unimpressed. I've never been of a Christian Slater fan so I'm sure that has something to do with it but it just seemed so formulaic to me. Fill in the blank characters (handsome with dark secret, cute with dark secret, weird, misguided, likely to be a victim herself someday,etc.,etc.) with plots that will keep you going to the inevitable ending-with-a-twist. There will be the inevitable episodes in which some one's character receives further explication and the inevitable mild attractions and animosities. I'll watch again to see if it grabs me but I doubt it will. Full disclosure: the first time I saw EH I watched 20 minutes and told my husband " I don't want to get involved with another show" and changed the channel. I didn't get hooked until midseason and I had to scramble to find the earlier episodes. But Christian Slater is no Rufus Sewell. Beady black eyes versus limpid pools of green - no contest.

It was fun to see the heavy set guy in something other than a commercial. My favorite spot with him was when he was trying to get a map from the girl behind the auto rental counter who's yakking on the phone with a friend. Very droll.
I found the art/med student's ability to whip up a model of the victim's head that was the equal to anything you'd see at the Museum of Natural History annoying. It was fun watching him pop the eyes in, though.
Its funny, I get irked with the premise of a character doing something that realistically I don't think they would be capable of but when whatsername on Fringe communicates with her dead lover telepathically I don't bat an eyelash.I think that was a problem on EH. The science was so far out at times but the show's premise was that these were problems that could be worked out by an almost Nobel worthy scientist and his beautiful assistant. A girl frozen on a beach? C'mon. And why would a biophysicist be working on dark matter theory anyway?

Enough blather, you can tell I haven't posted for awhile. Alison aka jrzgrl11
jrzgrl11
Preschooler

Postby luvinx » 24 Sep 2009, 09:09

jrzgrl11 wrote:Enough blather, you can tell I haven't posted for awhile. Alison aka jrzgrl11

No worries, Alison. Pilot's are so tough. Some of the best shows out there had crummy pilots, or, pilots that paled horribly in comparison to what they grew into. Plus, we all have the additional "weight" of not having our favorite show back and that just dampens everything.

jrzgrl11 wrote:It was fun to see the heavy set guy in something other than a commercial. My favorite spot with him was when he was trying to get a map from the girl behind the auto rental counter who's yakking on the phone with a friend. Very droll.

I am gonna watch the ep later today, but is this the same guy that was the father of the boy with cancer in "Miracle"? Pretty sure it was. I liked him in that ep.
luvinx
High Schooler

Postby jrzgrl11 » 25 Sep 2009, 07:44

Thanks luv for your reasoned, thoughtful reply to my over-caffeinated rant. Note to self:never post less than two hours after second cup of coffee.
Its just so frustrating. One of my favorite things about EH was that it had only two major characters so you got to spend more time with them. There was more time for them to develop their working and personal relationship than with larger casts of characters who all must have their moments onscreen.
I will certainly watch "the forgotten" again to see how it develops. Perhaps Christian Slater will get a visit from his English cousin. You know, the tall bloke with the dark curly hair and green eyes to die for.
jrzgrl11
Preschooler

Postby luvinx » 25 Sep 2009, 08:52

jrzgrl11 wrote:Thanks luv for your reasoned, thoughtful reply to my over-caffeinated rant.

Anytime! ;) And you can rant whenever you like!
jrzgrl11 wrote:Its just so frustrating. One of my favorite things about EH was that it had only two major characters so you got to spend more time with them. There was more time for them to develop their working and personal relationship than with larger casts of characters who all must have their moments onscreen.

Same here! It was great to be able to focus on just the 2 (and then 3) of them. As interesting as some of the larger ensemble casts can be, EH gave us a refreshing change with an electric dynamic.
jrzgrl11 wrote:Perhaps Christian Slater will get a visit from his English cousin. You know, the tall bloke with the dark curly hair and green eyes to die for.

Hmmm. Perhaps this should be our Plan C, eh? Say The Forgotten does well; SG moves up the ladder....we could encourage him to write a script where Rachel/Jacob's case intersects with a John/Jane Doe. Sounds good to me!
luvinx
High Schooler

Postby onepercentclub » 25 Sep 2009, 10:56

Good idea Kel!

You know what, I really enjoyed the PIlot, even when it's hard for me to keep up with too many characters and learn their stories, but that's why we have a whole series, hopefully to get to know everyone.

I already let SG know what I thought of the pilot. Remember, pilots are mere introductions of plots and characters, so never expect too much of it. Give the show 3 or 4 episodes to really understand what's going on.

I wasn't very impressed with EH at the beginning, but I liked the characters. After episode 9, boy I was hooked, so I re watched the first 8 episodes again and I enjoyed them more than the first time. Really.
onepercentclub
Middle Schooler

Postby æthre » 26 Sep 2009, 10:34

Bleh, all of the characters annoy me except for Walter-the-not-onesie guy. Med student actor and the girl he was with all the time (for the first half, at least) were too flat of actors. Monotone monotone ask stupid questions give stupid answers.

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to be watching this show - I watched the first half before supper and then never bothered to go watch the second half. Those two characters (and the main character) just don't interest me. At all. Walter guy could save the show, though.

Re: Fringe: It's pretty funny with both Fringe and Bones on at the same night because I spend all of Bones bitching about its supernatural elements and then spend all of Fringe swearing at the tv because Olivia went through the windshield when she wasn't even in the SUV YES IT IS AWESOME.

I swear in happiness, XD
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby kygal » 12 Oct 2009, 15:37

Have not been able to warm up to this show yet. I do want to support SG as that may help EH...hopefully. I think I am in a bad mood about tv in general right now. Plus...no Rufus Sewell to look at. I do like the idea of Jacob and Rachel helping out this team though...
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby luvinx » 12 Oct 2009, 17:40

I am happy to say that the second and third episodes were much better than the Pilot, so I am actually looking forward to the next one. Plus, SG's is coming up soon.

It is cool to see his name in the credits as an EP. You go boy! :D
luvinx
High Schooler

Postby onepercentclub » 15 Oct 2009, 20:48

Yes! They have been a lot better plus the ratings for the 4th episode went up so that is a good sign.
All my support to SG, all the way!
onepercentclub
Middle Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 03 Nov 2009, 22:29

It's still getting better, really. Mind you, I can still never remember the names of the main characters, but that's normal... Liked the artist kid fighting tonight.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby ? » 19 Nov 2009, 21:58

The one thing that I do not particularly like about this show is the conclusion. There is an act of criminality featured in all of the deaths. Diamond Jane and Prisoner Jane had very similar endings with the baddie. I would love to see a quest that does not feature a murder victim. I realise that the majority of the stories must rely on murder to remain relevant, but a few accidents and questionables would be a nice change of pace.

I will say that Stephen did take an interesting route with his episode's conclusion, but the investigation still resulted in arrests. His episode definitely stands out.
"?"
?
Kindergartener

Postby ObsidianJade » 19 Nov 2009, 22:47

That's a very interesting - and valid - point. While accidents don't make for good drama, it would make a refreshing change of pace. Try mentioning it again in the SG thread, (I think he peeks in on that every now and again) or doing a reply comment on his blog. I imagine he'd listen, even if he isn't able to put your thoughts into practice.

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby luvinx » 20 Nov 2009, 09:03

ObsidianJade wrote:I imagine he'd listen, even if he isn't able to put your thoughts into practice.

You bet he would! And now with the addition of 5 more eps, he may get another one to work on. I know he is already on the set for his second.
luvinx
High Schooler

Postby ? » 21 Nov 2009, 00:50

I would love to add my thoughts to a place where a writer might see them, but I am too intimidated to do it. I might consider posting this idea though. Does my original message look ok, or should I change it a bit?
"?"
?
Kindergartener

Postby ObsidianJade » 21 Nov 2009, 08:02

It looks fine to me, you were straightforward, honest, and complimentary. And I don't think you need be intimidated by SG - I think, at the core, he's one of us.

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby onepercentclub » 07 Dec 2009, 23:23

I just hope the ratings go up the next episodes. This show can't be cancelled! I like, it's actually good and it would be very unfair if it were cancelled.
onepercentclub
Middle Schooler

Postby luvinx » 08 Dec 2009, 10:51

This is such a difficult time of year, with parties and programs....most people are out and about shopping or whatever. Hard to get good ratings with that going on.
luvinx
High Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 08 Dec 2009, 13:57

I find it's also very hard to keep track of what shows are and are not being preempted for Christmas specials.... I wound up missing two episodes of EH during December, simply because I assumed that they *would* be preempted, and then they were not.

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby æthre » 09 Dec 2009, 21:04

That is what wikipedia is for - look at the List of Show Name Episodes article - it lists all episodes that have aired and their airdates as well as the future episodes and their air dates.

Also...

6000th post!
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby ObsidianJade » 09 Dec 2009, 21:56

Yes, that's how I found out I missed two episodes.

Also; wow, you keep track of that???

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby æthre » 09 Dec 2009, 22:59

No - the boards do, however.
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby ObsidianJade » 09 Dec 2009, 23:26

You do realize that we two are responsible for 2,576 of those six thousand, just on our own? Well, slightly more than six thousand now, and with this post it's 2,577, but you get the idea... we talk a lot. I think you and I are currently the only ones over 1k posts, although Kel will be joining us shortly.

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby æthre » 09 Dec 2009, 23:28

Yes. It is true - we have absolutely no lives.
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby ObsidianJade » 09 Dec 2009, 23:30

Speak for yourself, dear.

(Although, sadly, you really are speaking for both of us. :shock: I need to get out more.)

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Next

Return to General Discussion