What We Know From the Show

Any fanfic, fanart, fanvids, etc, etc, goes here.

What We Know From the Show

Postby jrzgrl11 » 17 Jun 2009, 08:56

I'm starting this thread because I'm trying to write some fiction and I find I don't remember much of the little we actually learned of the characters backstory during the episodes. I'm hoping to get some input from others to fill in a few of the mostly missing pieces. It might also be fun to share possible back stories we've created on our own. But first the facts:

Jacob Hood: Genius biophysicist who attended Princeton with the current FBI director(name?).
Was married to Maggie(?) who he nursed through the final phases of terminal cancer.
Has FBI protection because someone blew up (or tried to blow up) his house.
Works as a special consultant to the FBI on impossible - for - normal - people - to -
solve cases.

Rachel Young: Latest in a long line of FBI "handlers" that the difficult Dr. Hood requires.
Licorice lover.

Felix Lee: Newest member of the team

Help!
jrzgrl11
Preschooler

Re: What We Know From the Show

Postby luvinx » 17 Jun 2009, 10:47

jrzgrl11 wrote:I'm starting this thread because I'm trying to write some fiction and I find I don't remember much of the little we actually learned of the characters backstory during the episodes.

Awesome idea! ;) And more fanfic....YAY! :D

jrzgrl11 wrote:I'm hoping to get some input from others to fill in a few of the mostly missing pieces. It might also be fun to share possible back stories we've created on our own. But first the facts:

Gotcha! I will add a little to what you have now.

jrzgrl11 wrote: Jacob Hood: Genius biophysicist who attended Princeton with the current FBI director(name?). Was married to Maggie(?) who he nursed through the final phases of terminal cancer. Has FBI protection because someone blew up (or tried to blow up) his house. Works as a special consultant to the FBI on impossible - for - normal - people - to - solve cases.

Director's name is Frank. His wife was Maggie. I believe it was brain cancer. Was it his house or his car?

jrzgrl11 wrote:Rachel Young: Latest in a long line of FBI "handlers" that the difficult Dr. Hood requires. Licorice lover.

Lived/lives in the shadow of her father, also an FBI agent.

Crap! I want to add so much more but I have to go now. Ugh. Real life. :lol: I will be back later.

Awesome thread!!
luvinx
High Schooler

Postby jrzgrl11 » 17 Jun 2009, 19:05

And lest we forget Frank met hood at Princeton and they sealed their friendship on a road trip that included stops at Shea Stadium and Fenway Park. Frank had the tckts and Hood had the car, which used an early alternative fuel; cooking oil.I saw something years ago on TV about a guy who had engineered his car to run on used French fry oil from fast food restaurants. You could get it for free back then as long as you didn't mind reeking of french fries.
How old do you think R and H are? My guess would be 27 and 43.
jrzgrl11
Preschooler

Postby æthre » 17 Jun 2009, 20:56

Tried to blow up his car, yes.

And I was thinking more like 30 and 38 ish. They seem to subtract a few years off of the actors actual age and Rufus is, what, 41? And Marley's 35?

Random Hood facts: he seems to know a LOT of people in the science field. He has a dog (and a dog sitter that everyone else pretends not to exist). He contemplates the meaning of life, basically, with physics whilst high. Aaaand, my favourite, a member of the mile high club.

Rachel: someone close to her abuses drugs. A bit of a daredevil and physically aggressive (tripping the guy as he came in the tent, clotheslinning the guy on the scooter, playing chicken...).

Too lazy to write more.
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby rueful2 » 17 Jun 2009, 22:14

We know that Jacob has no middle name, hates fish (because he was freaked out by the fish swimming in Curly's stomach), and spent at least some of his high school years near the ocean (almost drowned). His father was a football coach. Neither he nor Rachel is a vegetarian.

At some point, Rachel's father was assigned to Phoenix (? or some other desert city). She spent some time assigned to Afghanistan.

Felix's mother buys him cologne every year for his birthday and owns a yorkie.

Ok, that's all I can come up with at the moment.
rueful2
Middle Schooler

Postby jrzgrl11 » 18 Jun 2009, 04:47

rue, you have the memory of an elephant or are just plain psychic. I started watching midseason and I thought I'd seen all the episodes but maybe not. Must backtrack-if there's an unwatched episode out there I might have to leave planet hood in shame and disgrace.
jrzgrl11
Preschooler

Postby æthre » 18 Jun 2009, 06:09

Ha, I think there's a few people who haven't seen all the early episodes yet... I know Roy hasn't, at least.

Some of us, however, flipped to the other extreme and have them all in 720p. MMmmm HD...!
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby rueful2 » 18 Jun 2009, 06:23

rue, you have the memory of an elephant or are just plain psychic.

Change that to "just plain psycho" and I think you may have something there! ;)

There were 18 episodes. Wikipedia has an episode listing with descriptions. If you haven't seen them all, by all means enjoy!! (Although there were some episodes that were very weak, now that it's cancelled I'm grateful for even their existence.)

have them all in 720p. MMmmm HD...!

Rufus Sewell and Marley Shelton are two of the few people I have seen who still look utterly beautiful even in close-up, microdefect-enhancing HD detail!

Edited to add a couple more details that popped into my head:
Hood has a sister and a nephew (about 8?). His sister calls him "Jake." He loved science even as a child. He wasn't an athlete (to his father's disappointment), but played "frisbee on the quad." He went to his prom (in a peach tux).

Rachel didn't go to her prom. She read "The Crucible" (in 10th grade?).
rueful2
Middle Schooler

Postby æthre » 18 Jun 2009, 06:53

Haha! I watch everything (except movies - I don't have a ps3 or a bluray player. But, then, I can dl the HD version off of bittorrent if I want to. Liiiike I did with Iron Man...) in HD now. And I'm addicted so everyone/thing looks bloody brilliant that way, XD
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby ObsidianJade » 18 Jun 2009, 10:28

Mustn't forget Rachel's necklaces! She has a collection of somewhere between six and a dozen necklaces, all fairly similar, very fine chains that are usually gold, each sporting a single pendant, medallion, or ornament.

Also, Hood is afraid of handling/shooting a firearm, and tries (though without success) to cover the fact by being facetious when he can't hit what he's supposed to be aiming at.

Rachel has a highly defensive personality, although this is much more obvious in the early episodes, which (this is just me extrapolating) probably means that she's probably been hurt quite badly by someone close to her in the past and is afraid of it happening again. Hood seems to have slipped past this defensiveness, as we've all noticed.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby luvinx » 18 Jun 2009, 13:46

ObsidianJade wrote:Hood seems to have slipped past this defensiveness....

....and right into her.....heart. I was gonna say heart. Really. Heart.

Wait, what? Wrong thread. Er, sorry.

Ok, ummmm....Hood wrote a paper on 'Dark Matter' and was in contention for the Nobel Prize.
luvinx
High Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 18 Jun 2009, 13:53

Ooh, yeah, forgot about that one!

Also, Hood seems partial to vanilla ice cream. And he's a lousy driver, although we only have Rachel's word to go by on that.

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby luvinx » 18 Jun 2009, 14:10

ObsidianJade wrote:And he's a lousy driver, although we only have Rachel's word to go by on that.

....and he could drive me anywhere. Sorry. Going there again.

Ok, so have we talked about Rachel's cousin who has autism yet?
luvinx
High Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 18 Jun 2009, 14:17

No, I'd forgotten that one. Any discussion on Hood's dog? (looks like a lab mix - named Tanner. Loves to play fetch. Residing in Palo Alto, CA.)

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby VampireCSIHood » 19 Jun 2009, 15:24

When did Hood's car blow up?! @_@
VampireCSIHood
Preschooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 19 Jun 2009, 16:01

Before the series start, VCH. It's why he was assigned a bodyguard in the first place.

Also, tidbits; Hood suffers from insomnia, and we see that he can go two days without sleep and display no noticable ill effects.

Rachel has a sweet tooth and is highly partial to licorice, although perhaps less so after Hood informed her that red licorice was colored using bug extracts, :lol:

Felix grew up on a farm and understands the financial difficulties they go through.

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby VampireCSIHood » 19 Jun 2009, 16:13

ObsidianJade wrote:Before the series start, VCH. It's why he was assigned a bodyguard in the first place.

OK, in what episode do we find that out?
VampireCSIHood
Preschooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 19 Jun 2009, 16:15

Err... great, now I need a head-scratching smiley, too. I guess it's mentioned in Resurrection, the pilot? I honestly don't recall. Guys?

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby luvinx » 19 Jun 2009, 17:01

ObsidianJade wrote:Err... great, now I need a head-scratching smiley, too. I guess it's mentioned in Resurrection, the pilot? I honestly don't recall. Guys?

Yeppers! Rachel explains it to that cop they work with in the Pilot, and then says "if you wanna see him blush, ask him where the shrapnel is." :lol: She also says that he has a "high priority ass", er....wait, maybe she says that he is a "high priority asset", sorry.
luvinx
High Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 19 Jun 2009, 17:32

Okay, something else to add, then... Hood most likely has to carry a special ID card for metal detectors indicating that he has embedded shrapnel. My granddad had one of those, he had shrapnel - also in his backside - from a bomb explosion in the war.

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby jrzgrl11 » 19 Jun 2009, 19:13

Thanks for all of the interesting tidbits, ladies. Its really nice to have a collective memory when my god given one is on the fritz.I had totally forgotten about the shrapnel (how could I?). Would pay good money to look at any of those scars.Do you suppose Rufe could have blown up his own car? Put his jumper cables on the wrong way?
I used to work at Princeton and I can conjure a very pretty picture of him playing frisbee on the quad in the late autumn sun. Sigh.
jrzgrl11
Preschooler

Postby rueful2 » 19 Jun 2009, 21:06

Quibbling with Sarah (sorry) about Felix: Do we believe he actually grew up on a farm? I think he may just have been saying that to gain the farmer's confidence, like when he told the clerk in Medea that her name was his mother's or when he told the (accidentally) murdering bodyguard in Olfactus that he understood how he could be turned on by the models.
rueful2
Middle Schooler

Postby luvinx » 19 Jun 2009, 21:14

Yes, Rue....I was thinking that myself. I believe that was part of Felix's "recon". He was trying to connect to the farmer. I suppose he could just happen to be a "third generation" and used it. I dunno. But I was quite unsure of this fact as well.
luvinx
High Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 19 Jun 2009, 21:25

I don't think Felix is a liar by nature. I find it entirely plausible that he was a bouncer at a strip club, and the farming thing... (shrugs) Hell, I grew up on a farm. And yeah, these days are brutally hard on farmers. But Felix's background hasn't really been explored in any depth. For all we know, he could have been born in a test tube (although I think Hood would be far more interested in him if that were the case!)

We'll just leave the Felix-the-Farmer thing in the 'maybe' pile, then?

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby luvinx » 19 Jun 2009, 21:29

ObsidianJade wrote:We'll just leave the Felix-the-Farmer thing in the 'maybe' pile, then?

"Alas, poor Felix." We wish we knew him well. He only got, what.....5 eps? Who really knows him at all?
luvinx
High Schooler

Next

Return to Fanworks