Numbatstuff

Any fanfic, fanart, fanvids, etc, etc, goes here.

Re: Numbatstuff

Postby EHfan » 13 Sep 2010, 12:05

numbat wrote:So anyway, i apologise unreservedly for my tardiness and give you this:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6321546/1/Until_Tomorrow

Forgiven!! You can be as tardy as you like if you promise to re-appear with stories like this one. Don't worry about it being another restaurant story. I think it makes it more realistic. After all, how many times in real life do you gather with your friends around food to hash out a problem, share your joys?

As for the story itself - clever, clever girl! Had not seen this one coming. Rachel's father (the abusive alcoholic) is quiet and reserved and Jacob's father is the loud-mouthed, tactless one. I was urging you to have Jacob give Rachel's dad a piece of his mind, instead, Rachel tells off Jacob's dad. And it was not the least bit boring. I honestly can't think of a single line that could or should be cut.

The only thing I would have done differently?? I would have had Rachel smack Jacob for that bit about Anna. I agree with Rachel, it was NOT funny. But maybe she'll get her revenge on the wedding night?

numbat wrote:What i do know is that i now appear to have a cast of thousands for the actual wedding. How i'm going to let them all have their say is a little bit beyond me at this stage!!!

Oh, Oh, I know! It could be like that movie Rashomon. You know, the same story from different perspectives? You could have "The Wedding - Rachel" "The Wedding Jacob" " The Wedding-" Ummm, on second thought, no. At that point it would take forever to get to the wedding night. And you know we're all looking forward to that.

Joyce
EHfan
Middle Schooler

Postby kygal » 13 Sep 2010, 16:12

LOVED IT! Very enjoyable to read. Both mothers were as I pictured. Glad Rachels dad behaved himself. Jacobs dad is how I pictured him as well...very overbearing but a teddy bear at heart! Very much looking forward to the wedding. Very surprised Rachel was able to stick to her guns and not go home or have sex with him in the alley...good for her. Not sure I could be that strong with JH.

Hey ,never apologise for being tardy here...besides...we do know where to find you! HaHa. I do tend to put more of my review/thoughts here on the fanfics than at RT due to getting caught up in some of the other stuff there..especially if there is a recent pic of The Man.
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby numbat » 16 Sep 2010, 07:23

It's interesting isn't it - by the time i've written and rewritten and read and reread my stories, they seem so totally predictable to me, so i'm always interested to hear when you're surprised at the turns they've taken.

I spent a long time thinking about the fathers. I decided in the end that Rachel must be a lot like her dad, which is why (despite not being a boy), she followed him into the FBI. And if she was like her dad, then underneath the abusive alcoholic, must be a person very much like Rachel. We don't know yet what threw him off the rails, but i wanted him to show her that over all the time they'd been estranged, that he had made an effort and cleaned himself up. And i also felt that he would be a little bit like Jacob - strong and calm and intelligent. I didn't want to go down the predictable route that he would turn up drunk and get into a fight (with Jacob or anyone else). I wasn't so sure about her mother, but i did feel that Rachel wasn't so much like her - in looks yes, but not personality.

And Jacob's family - well i guess i just decided that they would be a little unusual, like Jacob himself. We were given the clues that his dad was a football coach (which in my mind immediately stamped him as being very different from Jacob), and Alex was a little bit anti-authoritarian given her comment about him "working for the man" - i also liked her cheeky comment about Rachel dragging him around by her shiny handcuffs. So really it just came naturally that they both would get their subversiveness (because Jacob is a little as well), from their bohemian mother while dad would be a jock given to locker room humour and somewhat lacking in tact (but a good guy nonetheless). And Jacob of course, carries his grandfather's sharp mind and love of science.

But now i have them well established, and the potentially nightmare of a dinner out of the way, i can move onto the next day, which of course is the day of the wedding. Again in my mind, it is thoroughly predictable to the point that i wonder if i need to throw something in to make it more interesting. But i've just found the soundtrack - i don't know if i'll use it as the wedding dance song or if they'll even have a wedding dance, but it is Jacob's song and it has absolutely brought me apart. I don't know if them getting married is what is cutting me up so much (because i must admit to being the one who always cries at wedding - being the hopeless romantic that i am), or just that it marks the end (i hope) of Jacob's pain. And i so want him to be finally happy.

Or maybe it's because it means that the end of my story arc is growing ever nearer and i just don't know if i can walk away from them. :(

Kerry
numbat
Grade Schooler

Postby EHfan » 16 Sep 2010, 10:05

Kerry,

I think you make an interesting point. When you live with these stories and characters for awhile, you do tend to lose that, for the better want of a word, freshness about them. You think, because you've read it over and over that it's all so bloody obvious. But to us, coming on the stories for the first time - not so. I don't think you have to worry about being predictable.

I liked what you did with both fathers and the families. As we said before, our takes on Rachel's family is a bit different. But I do agree with you that Rachel does/would take after her father more so than her mother. I think that in part because, yeah, she did choose a career that is not typically female. Yes, there are female FBI agents, but they are outnumbered by the males! As for the mother you gave Rachel, yes, I can see where you are coming from here. In the series, Rachel never mentions her mother, but does mention her father several times. He was obviously the more dominant figure in her early life. That mom was a a weaker character would not be surprising.

The family you gave Jacob was very much in character for what we know of him. Jacob was a bit subversive, didn't have a lot of respect for rules. Well, he sure wouldn't have got that from his football coach dad! So yes, it would have to come from his mom. From what Jacob says about his father in Titans (talking about how his father wanted a jock "and got stuck with me.") it was clear that his relationship with his fathe might be a bit strained. You did a very nice job creating those characters.

As for the wedding, again, don't worry about being predictable. I think this fear comes from having such a well planned out arc! I mean, you knew in the very first story that Rachel was going to end up pregnant. Just cause you know what's going to happen, doesn't mean the rest of us aren't going to be surprised. Besides, the best weddings are a bit predictable. Wasn't it in Anna Karenina that they say that "Happy families are all alike?" I mean, yeah, the moms will cry, the dads will tear up, the friends will tease, and it will all be good.

And hey, just cause you finish up this J/R story arc doesn't mean you can't create another! Jacob is a fascinating character, I'm sure you can think of more stories for him. Jacob getting bored at home and interfering in Rachel's job? Jacob consulting from home with Rachel being the liaison? I'm sure your fertile imagination could come up with some wonderful stories.

Joyce
EHfan
Middle Schooler

Postby kygal » 17 Sep 2010, 04:29

Kerry...your fanfics are not predictable or boring at all. We are the ones who demand a happy ending and I still demand for Jacob to be happy. Every fanfic I read surprises me in some way. I loved the one about the parents. Yes, I knew Jacobs dad would be loud and overbearing, but I also thought Rachels dad would be a jerk and he wasnt. I have always known you and I have the same Jacob in mind...a little of what we saw on screen and a bit of what we see in Rufus. I do hope you continue to write about the further adventures of R and J...I hate to think this is the end. Its ok to take a break from them if you need to...laughs...as long as it is short. You and Joyce have given them new life and I do appreciate that.
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby rueful2 » 17 Sep 2010, 09:58

I can't believe I neglected to comment on this story--sorry Kerry!!

I really liked it. I didn't think of it as either boring or unnecessary. It's important to broaden the focus of the story to include other people sometimes. An understanding of those characters and relationships then shades the reader's understanding of J and R's reactions, attitudes, and personalities. You have done that previously by bringing in friends, but who has more influence on a person than their parents?

Regarding Rachel's dad, I'm not sure if you have discussed this previously, but I always wondered about her reactions to the former drug addict in H2O. Sure, she said her belief in people's inability to change was due to her law enforcement experience, but it was too strong a reaction for that. And while my cynical side wants to say she's right, people don't change, my personal experience has shown me that, once in a while, if they really want to, they can. So you have to balance caution with hope. That is a much more difficult position to maintain than a rigid stance, so I imagine Rachel will be very tentative in her reactions.

I wonder if she will want to air out the past with him, or just move on ahead, accepting the new order of things (assuming there is a new order, and this is not just temporary). I had a long discussion with a friend once who had a similar relationship to her father as I had to mine. Former drinkers, not ever violent, but terribly unreliable, of little use for a child's needs. She felt like she had to hash out old feelings with him in order to move on. It gave her real peace of mind. In contrast, I felt unable to expose myself and share my personal feelings with him, someone I had no real relationship with (unlike with my Internet friends I've never met :D ). Instead, I accepted that we could never redo the past to have the kind of father-daughter relationship some others have, and I accepted his current efforts to become the best grandfather on the planet, which he truly is. Neither attitude is wrong, I just wonder how Rachel will feel and which path Jacob would encourage.

And all this should tell you that you ARE cut out to be a writer. I don't think or feel this deeply about half the books I read!!
rueful2
Middle Schooler

Postby numbat » 22 Sep 2010, 06:43

Thanks for all of your really interesting comments!

I think the stories are getting harder to write and sometimes seem a bit boring to me because they're so full of dialogue - particularly because of all these new characters who all need to have their say.

They've obviously all here because of the wedding, and i honestly didn't think i could just have them as minor characters who have no say and no influence over the story. And because i really feel that everyone has a story to tell and there is usually a lot more to a person than meets the eye, sometimes i feel MY story gets bogged down with them telling THEIR story. I'm conscious that we all really just want to get on with the wedding, but i'm quite fascinated with their families. I'm just glad neither of them has a truckload of brothers and sisters because i'd never get the wedding written!!!

And speaking of brothers and sisters, that is co-incidentally the name of the next chapter in the saga which i posted last night:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6341247/1/Brothers_and_Sisters

I didn't plan it to happen for one moment, but somehow this story came to revolve around both Jacob and Alex, and so with the information that Jacob's Dad reveals to him at the end, i thought it was a fitting title.

I hope you don't feel that it is too out of character for Jacob to behave like this, seeing as he's the one who's driven Rachel to distraction by wanting her to commit to him and give him that hope for the future that he needs, but you know that whilst Rachel's finally made up her mind and is resolutely continuing on the path that she's now (finally) decided on, that he would start overthinking the whole situation. As i said in the introduction, she should have known better than to leave him alone. He was never going to sleep and if he wasn't going to sleep he was going to think instead.

In my opinion, Rachel should have had more sense than to feel him up in the alley and then leave him to his own devices!!! Of course it begs the question, will Jacob ever get any real action in an alley way?? Or should he just keep away from them!!

Kerry :lol:
numbat
Grade Schooler

Postby EHfan » 22 Sep 2010, 07:15

Kerry,

Of course you had to give them their say! Families are an important part, not just of weddings, but of who we are. So having a story revolve around Jacob, Alex, and his dad, very, very, much appreicated. We can wait for the wedding! There are things that need to get out on the table first. But give me a hint - since we left Robert Young on the way over to Jess' house, is the next story going to revolve around that conversation?

As I said over on the Rooftop and in my review - NO, I don't think it was at all out of character for Jacob to be freaking out on the day of the wedding. He likes to think he's totally over Maggie's death, but I think you've shown that that isn't the case at all. Of course, he's going to be worried, scared that something is going to happen to screw up his happiness again.

There was an aspect that I wanted to mention that I thought might not be so well received over at the Rooftop. I remember there was a bit of a kerfluffle as some thougth that your Jacob and Rachel were just all about sex, that there was no real relationship, that they wouldn't last.

I was wondering if (even subconsiously) that was the what prompted the discussion about the difference between love and lust between Jacob and his father? Because what you had Steven say was pretty dang good! I felt that explained the intense sexual attraction that Jacob and Rachel feel for each other. Maybe I'm naive or overly romantic, but I can't imagine having that kind of attraction, of wanting someone as much as they want each other, without also being deeply in love.

And don't bring up one night stands and married people having passionate affairs - yes I realize these things happen. But I've never gotten that vibe from your Jacob/Rachel. Even in A Warm Weekend. Yes, Jacob in the first chapter tells Rachel that he can't promise love, romance, and a happy ending, but by the end of the third chapter he's telling her he wants to provide for her, protect her, complete her. Sounds pretty damn loving and romantic to me! For Rachel's part, you know she had to have feelings deeper than lust for Jacob right from the start. She's not stupid, she recognizes from the get-go that having a realtionshp with Jacob will jeopardize her career. And we know what her career means to her, it's not something she would risk lightly. She wouldn't have have entered into that relationship feeling only something as fleeting as lust.

And while I'm thinking of it - I have to say, I had the feeling when Jacob was so agitated, that when he disappeared, he was going to end up going to Anna. So yeah, when you have his dad meet up with him in the cemetery - surprise, but d'uh - oh so very logical for your story arc. You established in the previous story that for all his faults, Steven Hood really does love his son and knows what he needs in times of stress. So Steven knowing where Jacob would end up - good story-telling.

Joyce

P.S. Totally forgot! Sorry to hear that you were sick this past weekend. Hope that you are feeling completely more yourself now.

P.P.S. Uh, yeah, Jacob really needs to keep away from alleys.
EHfan
Middle Schooler

Postby kygal » 22 Sep 2010, 16:22

This just goes to show that you are not predictable or boring. I also did not see this chapter coming but enjoyed it very much. My family is very important to me and I love all the interactions Jacob and Rachel have with theirs. I also thought R and J would end up together pre wedding...so you surprised my there as well. She did not need to have that extra worry on her big day! I now love Jacobs dad! I do not fault Jake at all for his feelings (how could I). He has had a great loss and I am sure he feels he may lose Rachel in a horrible way. She should have stayed with him...to much time to over-think for this thinker of a man! I do hope they have a happy wedding and life....not that I am hinting or anything! I also hope you continue to write about these two as time allows. I agree with the others...you are better than most of the authors I read...go for it!

Glad you are feeling better!
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby rueful2 » 23 Sep 2010, 09:55

Agreed, a visit to the cemetery was not at all predictable, but not out of character either. Both the tv series and your stories have shown Jacob to be a humanist, so whether or not he believes in an afterlife, he will have a strong connection to the people who have been important in his life but then "left" him.

And his fears are natural. So is his running off and be alone to try to deal with them. Classic male flight-or-fight response. I also liked how his father was able to express both his concern for Jacob and his thoughts about love while maintaining (or trying to maintain) his macho-coach persona. Very true to life.

All in all, a good, interesting, and realistic stopover ON THE WAY TO HAPPILY EVER AFTER! ahem.
rueful2
Middle Schooler

Postby kygal » 24 Sep 2010, 04:24

Numbat had mentioned there were alot of views of her fanfics before she posted a link anywhere. Just goes to show:

1) People love her writing!
2) Still lots of EH fans and interest in the continuation of the story!

Probably other wonderful reasons that I will not list..but...YAY!
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby numbat » 25 Sep 2010, 20:16

As i think you all know by now, my main concerns with my EH saga is keeping them true to their characters, and not falling into a predictable storyline. So it's always gratifying to learn that you think i've dealt with both of those things.

I have to say that i'm quite enjoying writing for the other characters. At one point i would have said that i'm only really interested in writing Jacob (!!!), but i do like the depth that introducing the other characters adds to the story. And i think it's given me a bit of confidence to maybe go ahead with my own story after i've finished this, knowing that i can actually create interesting characters on my own. Because that is of course the one thing that fan fiction doesn't really lend itself to - as you are writing for characters that have been created by someone else.

Rueful, i'm really interested to read your comments about your relationship with your own Dad. I've been thinking a lot about what Rachel's (eventual) conversation with her dad will be like - no hints Joyce - because i have no experience with dealing with a parent like this. So i hope you don't mind rue, if i draw a little on what you said in their own conversation.

And Joyce, i was most interested in your comments about the "it's only about sex for them" issue with Jacob & Rachel. I totally agree with you that the very fact that they have such an intense attraction for each other completely means that they are very much in love (and still in the early stages of their relationship - they are marrying only 4 months after A Warm Weekend after all), and i think that was the point i was trying to make back on the RoofTop back then. So maybe part of that conversation with Jake & his Dad was a subconscious attempt on my part to further clarify that issue. At the time, i just thought that it was a continuation of Jake's confusion about how he was feeling before this wedding compared to how he felt before his first wedding. That he would question whether in fact it was love or just lust that he was feeling, because if it was truly love then why would he be questioning himself. But i very much see where you're coming from - you are very clever indeed to pick that up.

As to whether he was going to see Anna - well i did go through a few possibilities of where he would go and what he would do - but in the end, i decided that if he was truly going to marry Rachel with all of his heart then he had to, at some point, stop reaching out to Anna as his comfort. I know i didn't detail his thoughts when he got in the car and drove away from the house, but going to see Anna was one of the possibilities that he entertained before he decided that he really just needed a quiet place to think, and to visit his grandfather whom he had always been so close to. His grandfather would of course been the one that he would have spoken too if he'd been alive, which is probably why he'd never had a conversation like he did with his own dad before, because he'd always reached out to his grandfather in the past.

Kygal, yes i was very surprised after i posted the story and then went to bed without posting the link just how many people had read it. As you say, people are obviously still very interested in EH which just makes it all the harder to take that we don't see it anymore. I suppose i've never really known how many of my stories are read by the Rufus girls vs EH followers. Perhaps EH will join that cult group of well loved shows that only ever got one series like Firefly and Moonlight.

Oh well, best press on i guess. My head is full of possibilities as to how the next story will progress, but i've yet to make much headway in committing it to paper (or keyboard!!)

Kerry :D
numbat
Grade Schooler

Postby EHfan » 26 Sep 2010, 17:31

Kerry,

To me, that's the beauty of writing fanfics - a fledgling writer gets to exercise their creativity muscles in an a supportive environment. The characteres are a given, so you can concentrate on getting things like dialogue, plot, etc. right before you have to think about expanding the world with original characters.

And I have to say that your original characters are very well done. It makes absolute sense that Rachel, an FBI agent would have a friend who is a former cop. Jacob was obvioulsy well known is scientific circles, (every other episode had him calling on a contact) so of course he would have a friend like Sergei.

As for the families - I know we disagree on Rachel's family, but I have to say that I'm coming around to your view of her father. I think it was you (?) who mentioned Rachel's strong reaction about addicts in H2O, yes, it WAS personal, not just because of her work, cause realistically, how often would an FBI agent deal with addicts, unless she had been assigned to narcotics which we have no reason to believe she was. (We do know she was in Counter Terrorism before the EPD from the episode Containment) . So yes, Rachel's dad as a recovering alcoholic is very, very believeable. Jacob's family is equally well-done. Even though Jacob is so different from the father you gave him, you gave Stephen qualities that are reflected in the Jacob we know, his warmth, his love of life.

You mentioned not including the bit of Jacob in the car deciding where to go - I can sooo relate to that. Having a really good idea and realizing that it either slows down the story or makes it way, way to long. But you made good choices with this story. Yes, the cemetery was unexpected, but thinking about it, yes, that is exactly what Jacob would want to do. You made it clear that Jacob and his grandfather were close, so of course on his wedding day when he was feeling unsure, he would go there for comfort. It's what people do. I did. My father died when I was in college, he never got to meet my husband. So after our wedding, we stopped by the cemetery so I could 'introduce' them.

As for the number of hits on your stories - not surprised. Like kygal said, you write well, so yeah people read your stuff. But also, that there is such interest stories about these characters. And it can't just be the Rufus girls - to many hits from to many countries for that.

Joyce
EHfan
Middle Schooler

Postby rueful2 » 26 Sep 2010, 21:55

Joyce, you made a good point about love and sex. Just because Jacob said he wasn't looking for a lifetime of happiness that first day, doesn't mean he meant it. What else would a person who had suffered such a loss say--it would be instinctive to protect himself. And that's the case even if he honestly believed what he said at the time. And lust or passion, even if extreme, burns itself out quickly if there's nothing behind it.

numbat wrote:Rueful, i'm really interested to read your comments about your relationship with your own Dad. I've been thinking a lot about what Rachel's (eventual) conversation with her dad will be like - no hints Joyce - because i have no experience with dealing with a parent like this. So i hope you don't mind rue, if i draw a little on what you said in their own conversation.

I don't mind at all. I'm sure what I mentioned was the sort of thing you would have been thinking about yourself anyway. Those are the two major questions in dealing with anyone who has really hurt you in any way, aren't they: Do you give them another chance, and, if you do, do you hash it out with them first or just move on? If you want to run anything past me, feel free to PM me here or especially at RT, but since you've always managed to write beautifully about other situations that you presumably haven't handled in real life (like feeling up a waitress in an alley ;) ), I'm sure whatever you do will be stellar. And as you said, that conversation will happen "eventually," because we are expecting some STEAMY wedding night stories now. :D
rueful2
Middle Schooler

Postby kygal » 27 Sep 2010, 16:19

I dont think you give yourself enough credit. Yes a fanfic is based on someone elses characters but we were given so little about the characters personal lives. I would think in some ways it would be harder to write about established characters....I mean... trying to keep them in character. I think you did a great job expanding on how you think they would act/react outside work which we never got to see. I am not sure even Stephen Gallagher would have taken J/R in the direction you have...tehehe. Bravo!
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby numbat » 28 Sep 2010, 02:04

Wouldn't we just love to know where they would have ended up if the series had continued kygal? As you say, i'm sure it wouldn't have ended up where i am because the writers generally like to draw out the Unresolved Sexual Tension for as long as possible don't they!!! I know a lot of people think that major characters getting together spoils the dynamic of the show, but i'm always a fan of characters hooking up - i think it just takes them in a different (but not necessarily worse) direction. Of course EH wouldn't really be EH if my storyline had been followed - at least in Joyce's stories they hide the fact that they're married and continue working together. My two could have kept working together under their original plan, if it wasn't for Jacob and his abnormally determined sperm!!

And Joyce, i agree with you about the places that FF readers come from. I know a lot of hits are probably random, and of course a hit doesn't mean that the person who read your story actually liked it, but hits from 40 different countries in a relatively obscure fandom like EH is fairly astounding isn't it!! I can only imagine the sort of traffic that people writing in something like True Blood must get!!!

Rueful, i am trying to get to the steamy wedding night story, but they have to get married and endure the reception first!!! This is probably why i've got distracted and am finding myself randomly writing about Rachel in a nurses uniform, in a story totally and completely unrelated to the wedding. :roll:

Kerry
numbat
Grade Schooler

Postby rueful2 » 28 Sep 2010, 05:51

I agree that getting two characters together is not intrinsically bad. Think of how many great movies/tv shows of various genres involved people who were married when the movie or show began--from The Thin Man series to the Dick Van Dyke show.The problems generally arise because of the writing and the UST itself, especially the ridiculous, unnatural situations that are created to keep the people apart. And if the couple is boring once they do put them together, again, it's because the writers don't know how to write those aspects of life in an interesting way. Because let's face it, a great number of people in this world are involved with someone else, and we can't all be boring.

numbat wrote:This is probably why i've got distracted and am finding myself randomly writing about Rachel in a nurses uniform,

Rachel in a nurses uniform? Where in the world would you have gotten such a ridiculous idea? Not from any of us, surely! :D

Anyway, maybe you can do like they did in Lost, and write a flash forward to the honeymoon, and then flash back to the wedding later as Rachel is trying to explain to the dry cleaner how she got some sort of chemical stain on her dress.
rueful2
Middle Schooler

Postby EHfan » 28 Sep 2010, 06:06

I think that eventually EH would have gone in the direction of Jacob and Rachel getting together in some fashion. Think of the smile on Jacob's face and the way his voice kind of cracks when he says "Really?" after Rachel tells him that she'd be so jealous if someone else was on his detail.

I'm with you Kerry, I like to see major characters get together. I think it adds to a series to include the emotional life of the characters. I know the common wisdom is that a series goes down the tubes when the UST becomes RST, people always like to point to Moonlighting as the example. To me, Moonlighting is the perfect example of the difference between love and lust. I mean, there was nothing between Dave and Maddie but lust, they were attracted to each other but they didn't like each other. So yes, once they had sex there was nothing left. Jacob and Rachel on the other hand, were definitely becoming friends by the end of the series.

Kerry, about the readership at ff.net. It's funny cause I was talking about this with my daughter last night. She's started a blog and she's amazed that people she doesn't know are reading it. She figured that some of the hits from foreign countries are friends who are spending the semester abroad, but as she said "Mom, I don't know anyone in Morocco!" I have the same feeling - I expect hits from the US and Australia and maybe the UK, but Croatia???? I just take it so show that there is plenty of interest in this show and these characters.

I guess if we can wait for the steamy wedding night story since we have the promise of the steamy nurse's uniform story. I mean, how can a story about Rachel in a nurse's uniform be anything but?

Joyce
EHfan
Middle Schooler

Postby numbat » 29 Sep 2010, 08:00

I've been watching a new Aussie show over the past few weeks called Offspring and it's absolutely delightful because it's basically about sexual tension and how it gets resolved (or doesn't).

The woman is an obstetrician and he is a pediatrician, both working in the same delivery ward of a hospital, and he is seriously gorgeous. It's one of those shows where you hear her thoughts, and the very first time they met she thought something like "God, i just want to have sex with you" - so as you can imagine, it is just up my alley. I absolutely adore it, and it's about the only show i really, really look forward to watching every week (and i shout at the TV - "for god sake just f***ing kiss him!!!").

If it ever makes it across the rest of the world, i highly recommend it!!!

Kxx :D

P.S. Rueful - Rachel may well have to take her wedding dress to the drycleaners but it won't be a chemical stain they have to get out - Jacob quite likes the dress :lol:
numbat
Grade Schooler

Postby EHfan » 29 Sep 2010, 08:35

numbat wrote:Rachel may well have to take her wedding dress to the drycleaners but it won't be a chemical stain they have to get out - Jacob quite likes the dress

So, we're not the only ones looking forward to a steamy wedding night?

Oh, very nice pic Kerry - hope the show lives up to your expectations!

Joyce
EHfan
Middle Schooler

Postby rueful2 » 29 Sep 2010, 10:38

numbat wrote:P.S. Rueful - Rachel may well have to take her wedding dress to the drycleaners but it won't be a chemical stain they have to get out - Jacob quite likes the dress :lol:

I was trying to raise the moral tone of this thread. Thank goodness I have friends who can bring me back to my senses.
rueful2
Middle Schooler

Postby numbat » 01 Oct 2010, 04:58

You should know by now rueful, that there will be no raising of the moral tone on this thread!!! :lol:

In fact i'm doing my very best to finish a story which will manage to lower it even further - well that was the plan anyway!!

Rachel in a nurses uniform - i can do that - i foolishly thought to myself. I might do it now. It won't take me long. The wedding can wait for a couple of days.

Five days later and i still haven't finished. Passed the 10,000 word mark now. And has it succeeded in lowering the moral tone? - i'm not too sure anymore.

And when i first started writing it, i really liked it. Thought it was funny and a bit cheeky. Now i think it's a pain in the ass.

Stupid nurses uniform, stupid white stockings and suspenders, stupid, stupid story - why didn't i take more notice of Joyce's reservations. She's much cleverer than me, quite obviously!!!

Kxx :evil:
numbat
Grade Schooler

Postby EHfan » 01 Oct 2010, 07:05

Kerry,

I tried to warn you! Nurses uniform + Rachel= Trouble! Although I'm sure
Jacob appreciates your effort. Especially the stockings and
Suspenders.

Joyce
EHfan
Middle Schooler

Postby rueful2 » 01 Oct 2010, 08:42

Sorry you're having such difficulty with the story. I'd say something wise about how all artists must suffer, but since I'm just the lazy--but very appreciative--consumer and not a producer, I'll just wish you luck. Well, luck's not the right word either, because it's not luck, it's your hard work and creativity. Hmmm. Can I wish you inspiration, preferably in the form of a Jacob dream? :D
rueful2
Middle Schooler

Postby numbat » 01 Oct 2010, 09:25

Thanks for your wise words you two (and yes rueful, it must be time for you to change from the role of consumer to producer. I know you have many, many great ideas in that witty head of yours that deserve to be set free on the page!!!)

I really shouldn't be on here moaning. I mean i do like the story, which is why i'm persevering with it. It has lots of things that delight me and i'm really looking forward to the after story discussion. I'm not going to discuss ANYTHING about it until it's posted, but after you've read it i will bore you silly with all the things i like about it.

But it's just that i thought it would be so much shorter. The initial story just flew from my fingertips, but i'm finding the polishing to be the hard thing. It just keeps getting longer and longer each time i revise it. Now hopefully, it's actually getting better each time i revise it, but i can't shake this horrible feeling that you guys aren't going to like it as much as i do.

Normally it's the other way round - that i don't like it but you do, and i think that's the right way to go about the business of writing (otherwise you're just writing as part of your giant ego trip). But i'm terrified that i'm going to tell you all that i really like it and you're all going to think it's shit - really, really long shit!!!

Anyhow, i'm going to bed now. Have only got the 2nd half of the story to do the revisions on and hopefully with half already under my belt i'll find it easy to finish off tomorrow (or maybe Sunday!!).

Anyhow, thanks for listning to my whinging. I promise to stop now!!

(And Joyce, who mentioned anything about Jacob?- this is Rachel's story after all :lol: )

Kxx :D
numbat
Grade Schooler

PreviousNext

Return to Fanworks