Numbatstuff

Any fanfic, fanart, fanvids, etc, etc, goes here.

Re: Numbatstuff

Postby EHfan » 27 Jul 2010, 11:08

Kerry,

This is why the Internet is both wonderful and evil. Wonderful 'cause I get to watch TPOTE online at the Staz website (since I don't subscribe to Showtime). Evil cause sometime glitches happen like what happened over at the Rooftop that just break our hearts.

Agee that Tom's/Rufus' performance in episode 2 was disappointing. Was promised "brief nudity" in the intro. Well, the nudity was waay to brief. Looking forward to the Tom story, even disregarding the fact that he's played by Rufus, Tom is a fascinating character. Very driven and with a wonderful vision. I can well understand your spending a week with him.

And you're not OCD for not wanting to post your stories out of order, just a damn good writer.

Joyce
EHfan
Middle Schooler

Postby kygal » 27 Jul 2010, 15:31

Agree....GROUP hug with Rufus right now would help!
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby numbat » 28 Jul 2010, 11:38

Thanks to rueful's amazing techno wizz work, we managed to salvage some of the most important posts but it's still a pain in the ass!!! Oh well, we're just going to have to talk even more than usual to make up for the missing posts!!!

I've just finished the Tom & Ellen story, but i've just realised that i don't have anywhere to post it!!! I emailed ff.net to get them to make a new category for TPOTE, but i really hope it doesn't take them too long because i really want to get it posted.

If i have it sitting around for too long, i might re-read it and change my mind about posting it!!!

Shame they don't have a "sundry" category for posting odd bits & pieces - i mean this may be the only TPOTE story ever written!!!

At least i can get back to Jake tomorrow :D

Kerry
numbat
Grade Schooler

Postby EHfan » 28 Jul 2010, 11:46

You could post it here. I know the Rooftop doesn't approve of posting fanfics, but both ObsidianJade (Sarah) and Sternchen have posted fics here in their threads.

Joyce
EHfan
Middle Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 28 Jul 2010, 19:04

I have indeed - usually shorts or scraps, but I have posted full stories in my thread as well.

And ff.net should have a 'Misc' category still....

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby numbat » 28 Jul 2010, 21:49

Thanks!!

I managed to ferret around on ff.net until i found a "Misc" section so i posted it there. I'll move it if they manage to create a TPOTE category under TV Shows.

So here it is:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6186497/1/Inspiration

As i mentioned on The RoofTop, I'll be interested to know what you think. This is the first time i've done something that uses actual scenes from a show - i always felt it was a bit cheeky to just take scenes that somebody else had written. But this is kind of an expansion of what we got to see, and explores what's going on in Tom's head.

Kerry :D
numbat
Grade Schooler

Postby EHfan » 29 Jul 2010, 11:05

Kerry,

Read and enjoyed your story Inspiration. I liked the fact that you expanded on the scene in question, and NOT just for the obvious reasons! I liked the way you got into Tom's head, explored his feelings. As I said in my previous post, Tom Builder is an intense, driven man. I think you did a good job of showing this.

Joyce
EHfan
Middle Schooler

Postby kygal » 29 Jul 2010, 18:45

Move over Ken Follett because Kerrys in the house! I really, really liked this. You took the dialoge and gave it extra life. I can imagine Tom having those exact thoughts.

I really, really love Jacob...but I really, really like Tom right now. Episode # 3 tomorow...cant wait!
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby numbat » 30 Jul 2010, 02:01

kygal wrote:I really, really love Jacob...but I really, really like Tom right now.

I feel the same kygal. Tom has filled my head all week, but i'm glad i managed to find somewhere to post that story, because i dreamed about Jacob last night. And (i''m almost embarassed to tell you this), but i went out for my regular Friday lunch with my girlfriend today and i saw the Corvette again. Same place (same place we always go every week), but i haven't seen it since the last time i told you about it. So i think Jake's trying to tell me something!!

I won't get to see episode 3 of TPOTE til Sunday (when someone posts it online!) so in the meantime i'm going to do my best to finish the next Jacob & Rachel story. I think he really needs me to finish this, of all stories, and i can't just abandon him now.

In all honesty, i might never write another TPOTE story, but that aspect of the mini series (ie, Tom & Ellen not consummating their relationship 'til after the burning of the church) is so very different from the book (in which she seduces him within hours of Agnes's death literally within sight of her grave), that i really felt the need to explore it further. And i'm glad you understood that it wasn't just about the sex, it was Tom and his thoughts and his passion and his inspiration that i wanted to explore.

I was very, very wary about writing a story based so directly on a scene from the mini series, so i'm glad that you think it worked. And i have to say for as much as i liked the sex scene (obviously!), the scene i am taken with the most is the one directly following, where Tom draws his plans and takes them to Prior Philip. Tom so simply but eloquently explaining his dream to Philip, is the best scene of the series so far for me, followed very closely by the final scene where they stake out the church as the sun is rising. Pure Rufus (and Matthew) magic!

Kerry
numbat
Grade Schooler

Postby kygal » 30 Jul 2010, 04:29

Funny how that Vette keeps showing up at times! Jacob is trying to chanel you...haha. I did enjoy you exploring Toms thoughts. I did not read the book but know enough about it...so its nice to read his thoughts if even in a fanfic. Although you can read his thoughts and feelings in his face on screen. I am enjoying Pillars...and of course looking forward to Zen...yum yum! You can certainly post any fanfics here. Have a great weekend!
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby EHfan » 30 Jul 2010, 06:14

Hmm, like I said, I haven't read the book yet, at this point I'll most likely wait until the mini-series is over. But it's interesting that the writers of the movie changed the timing of Tom and Ellen's first sexual encounter. I think it might have changed my opinion of both characters if it had happened like it did in the book. It would have made Tom a weaker character, if you see what I mean. And in the mini-series, he's an exceptional strong one.

Kerry, I agree with you about that last scene, when Tom and Phillip are laying out the cathedral. Gave me shivers.

And yes, while we tease you about the sex, your story was way more than that. Your story gave us what the writers couldn't - a look inside of Tom's head. And you did an excellent job. I think you caught the character of Tom Builder, as portrayed in the mini-series, very well.

So the Corvette is back is it? Jacob must be feeling desperate. I seem to recall he got a little sulky when you turned your attention to Lord Marke also. Geez, you'd think after the last story, he'd need a little time to recuperate.

Joyce

P.S. Wonder if the Corvette being back means I'm due for a text from Rachel?
EHfan
Middle Schooler

Postby kygal » 04 Aug 2010, 04:47

Hey...I am having some Jacob withdrawl here! Shame on that Tom Builder for being sooooo hot! Must admit ( sorry Jacob my love) I am looking forward to the "cave"...tehehe!
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby numbat » 05 Aug 2010, 07:18

Jacob's going to get finished over the weekend i promise!!! My internet connection is down (at a friends house right now!), so won't be able to download the next episode of TPOTE till Monday when it gets fixed, so will have plenty of Jacob time over the weekend because i've managed to finish this:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6209099/1/Separation

the next instalment of Tom & Ellen which i've renamed Separation.

Will check in on Monday unless i manage to find another nice friend willing to let me use their pc, or perhaps i can find an internet cafe!!!

Anyhow, hope it fulfils your expectations and desires (especially rueful's!!!) :D

Kerry
numbat
Grade Schooler

Postby EHfan » 05 Aug 2010, 09:39

Kerry,

Have I told you before that I love the fact that you live 12 hours ahead of me, so you generally post your stories just before my lunch hour? So, thank you once again for giving me something so very good to read over lunch!

That story is beautiful. And, no, NOT just becasue of the sex. (Which is, oh my, very hot.) For the conversations and the exploration of what's in Tom's head. His pain at not being able to protect Ellen, to be able to have her with him was so well done. Made me want to cry.

Selfishly though, I'm glad your internet is down so you have to wait on the next installment of POTE. Looking forward to the next installment of your Jacob/Rachel saga. Although I have to say, it sound a little ominous. You're going to finish Jacob off this weekend?

Joyce
Last edited by EHfan on 06 Aug 2010, 05:36, edited 1 time in total.
EHfan
Middle Schooler

Postby kygal » 06 Aug 2010, 04:32

WOW. Now I have to get ready for work! Very Nice. See... they are able to have toughts and dialogue. Really enjoyed reading Toms thoughts...well the other was great also! Sorry about the computer problems. Hey...we have epi 4 tonight to look forward to.
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby numbat » 10 Aug 2010, 03:15

Glad you enjoyed Separation. It's quite funny, but this process of writing about a show while it's actually in progress is making me understand fan fiction that much better. At its core, it's really about filling in the characters - not necessarily having to create a new or different world or stories for them, but filling in what the filmmakers just don't have time to show us. And certainly for Tom & Ellen, there is so much more to them than is going on on screen.

I think the weakness in a multi character mini series like this is the glossing over of important details of the character's lives and the paring down of scenes to the bare minimum. Episode 4 was a prime example of that i think - i wasn't planning to write an ep 4 story but the more i think about it, the more i feel Tom's scenes need fleshing out. Particularly the one where he tells Ellen about Jack's death. And i really can't believe they've left her living in that cave for over 4 years! In the book, she lives in complete exile for 1 year before Philip forgives her (without expecting her to come back to the church mind you), and she and Tom marry. I just don't know how he would cope with her living apart from him like that for such a long time. I'm hoping it will be explained in ep 5!!!

Anyhow, I'm going out for dinner in a little while, and when i come back i will have two, yes two, Jacob and Rachel stories to post (I hope you have a long lunch Joyce!!!).

So i'll be back in a few hours!!!

numbat
Grade Schooler

Postby kygal » 10 Aug 2010, 04:30

Looking forward to some J/R today...I will have to get to work and read this pm when I have time to enjoy it. I did go back this last weekend and read some of your first chapters of a warm weekend. Did you realize you have been working on all this for a 6 month period. Thank you so much for that! Hope you continue as time allows to write about these two.

I am enjoying TPOTE but didnt really think they did a good job with Tom and Ellen about Jacks "death". I thought Tom would have shown more emotion and would have been more comforting at that time to Ellen. Of course in those days people lived differently and an early death was not that unsual. Old age was what...50! I think I will want you to re-write Toms fate after epi 5 or 6. How about Tom wakes up with a headace, gives Jack his position of master builder and lives happily ever after with Ellen in the cave....haha. Looking forward to all of your stories. And hey...we have Zen to start thinking about!
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby EHfan » 10 Aug 2010, 05:39

Kerry,

I will make it a long lunch hour! How exciting 2 new fics to look forward to!

A very interesting slant on fan fics. I hadn't quite thought of it thay way before, but yeah, I guess we're all much more interested in these characters than the writers/producers have time to show us. I mean, think of it, even though TPOTE is almost 8 hours long, it's an adaptation of a 1000 page book that covered the lives of how many people over how many years??

I look forward to your ep. 4 story. I agree that the scene where Tom tells Ellen about Jack's death needs expansion. I mean really, Tom loved Jack like a son. Now, granted, he does have a deep faith, but still. To tell Ellen that it was God's will when he knows Ellen doesn't share that faith is strange.

And I don't think it was so odd to think of Ellen living in that cave for 4 years. The cave was warm, dry, a good shelter. I got the impression from the first episode that Ellen and Jack had been living in that cave for years. Think of all the carvings Jack did on the walls. Plus I'm sure Tom was visiting every so often, bringing her supplies.

I've been holding off reading the book until the end of the mini-series, but I may have to give in, it seems like they've changed things significantly.

Joyce
EHfan
Middle Schooler

Postby numbat » 10 Aug 2010, 10:22

So as promised, here are the latest two Jacob & Rachel stories.

I posted them together because they really are like two chapters of one story. The reason that i didn't want to tie them together though is that i feel the second story is probably the more important of the two, and i felt it deserved it's own story status rather than just being a second chapter.

So the first is called Here's to Lunch:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6224778/1/Heres_to_Lunch

and this is the youtube link for the classic 70's soundtrack song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE0pwJ5PMDg

The second story is called All I Do Is Miss You:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6224827/1/All_I_Do_Is_Miss_You

and this is the youtube link for the fantastic live version of the soundtrack song that i found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-G-GHTFoX4&feature=fvw

I have to say it felt nice to spend the weekend with Jacob even if there was crying involved!!!

But i've already started on the next Tom Builder story, trying to flesh out some of the stuff that happened in episode 4. I don't know if you read my comments on the RoofTop Joyce, but i absolutely agree with you - I'm not buying that comment of Tom's to Ellen that Jack's death was "God's plan". I know stupid people say things like that when they don't know what else to say, but i don't accept Tom saying that to her in that moment for a single second. I think it's just bad writing to have him say such an obvious platitude. Unless he actually said more and it ended up on the cutting room floor which would make it bad editing. Either way, it just wasn't right.

Anyhow, I hope you enjoy a little Jacob and Rachel for a while (and please listen to the Dire Straits song if you get a chance. I've never seen or heard a better version - it's absolutely beautiful!!)

Oh, and Joyce, i agree that the cave would have been perfectly acceptable for Ellen to live in for four years, but i don't think it was fair on Tom. How is the poor love supposed to cope with his woman living in hiding in a cave for all that time - it was only one year in the book!!!
numbat
Grade Schooler

Postby EHfan » 10 Aug 2010, 12:48

Kerry,

Loved both stories, but I have to admit, the second one, "All I Do Is Miss You" was mind-blowing. You remember we had that discussion after "BNGN" about what Jacob needed to do. And you were worrying about being predictable. Well - trying to avoid spoilers here - yes, he did what I thought he would do. But NEVER could I have imagined the scene you set and the conversation you created. It was so good, very emotional, very appropriate to your Jacob, a man who wears his heart on his sleeve. Absolutely beautiful story.

That's not to say that I didn't enjoy "Here's to Lunch." Like I said over at ff.net, I really cracked up at the banter between Jacob and Jess. Like Rachel said, two complete flirts! It was a fun, happy story, even with Jacob's bit of angst thrown in. And Rachel has a lot of nerve complaining that Jacob was being sexist with his choice for their honeymoon! After all, she's the one who said she likes to shop! Also love the fact that Rachel knows full well that Jacob arranged the job for her. She may not be a genius like him, but she's no idiot.

numbat wrote: I don't know if you read my comments on the RoofTop Joyce, but i absolutely agree with you - I'm not buying that comment of Tom's to Ellen that Jack's death was "God's plan". I know stupid people say things like that when they don't know what else to say, but i don't accept Tom saying that to her in that moment for a single second.

Yes, I've been visiting the RoofTop regularly (note to self: register!) and I saw your comment. And yeah, people do say stupid things to others who are grief-stricken. But usually those people aren't dealing with any great grief themselves. They don't know what to say since they're not sharing the feelings. I can't believe that Tom isn't grieving just as much as Ellen. Like I said, by now, he's lived and worked with that boy for over 4 years. Has nurtured his talent. Thinks of him as a son (even introduces him as his step-son). Even though Tom is a man a great faith, you're right - in that moment - that wouldn't have been his reaction. Even deeply religious people rail against God at first when things like this happen.(See Old Testament, Book of Job) Maybe much, much later, he might feel like this, but not when he's telling Ellen. I would think having to tell her would re-open the wound for him.

numbat wrote:Oh, and Joyce, i agree that the cave would have been perfectly acceptable for Ellen to live in for four years, but i don't think it was fair on Tom. How is the poor love supposed to cope with his woman living in hiding in a cave for all that time - it was only one year in the book!!!

But sweetie, you don't seriously think he only went to visit her that one time do you????? She was tucked away, nice an safe, just waiting for him to show up every so often with a new supply of honey. And like in episode 3, she may have made a surprise visit or two of her own to the priory.

Joyce
EHfan
Middle Schooler

Postby kygal » 10 Aug 2010, 18:25

Kerry...I loved both of those stories. The first one was fun. Enjoyed the three of them together. The second one blew me away. I cried thru the entire chapter. My family started to worry! I really thought Jacob was going to Maggies grave to say goodbye...the pearl got to me. Very beautifully written. You really could do this for a living...or do you? Always great to read a Jacob story...he is my first (Rufus) love and my favorite...but looking forward to your next Tom story...he is so hot! Thanks for all you do!!!

Joyce...you need to join the Rooftop!
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby numbat » 11 Aug 2010, 03:05

kygal wrote: You really could do this for a living...or do you?

Joyce...you need to join the Rooftop!

Susan - Absolutely not!!! Everything i've ever written since leaving school is listed on my ff profile page. Rufus is just my muse :D

And Joyce - i agree you should join the RoofTop!!! Although i still like coming here to have "proper conversations" about stories. That lot over there are only interested in the sex, LOL!!!

Really pleased that you both enjoyed the two J&R stories - i was a bit worried about "Here's to Lunch". It got changed around quite a bit as i struggled to give it a purpose. I did think about leaving it out entirely, but there was some important wedding type stuff in there that needed to be talked about otherwise things wouldn't have made as much sense when i got to the actual wedding story. I was very conscious that it was just a "sitting down and talking" story though which can get a bit boring!!!

"All I Do Is Miss You" was terribly, terribly hard to write. Being inside his head when he was going through that stuff was heartbreaking and i still can't go back and read it. So i'm really, really happy that you appreciated it.

So today because i was supposed to be packing for a girls 5 day weekend away that i leave for in the morning, i instead sat down and wrote the next Tom & Ellen. For all the reasons we talked about above, i had to write it and it needed to be finished before the next episode "of which we shall not speak" - other than to say i've already started crying!!! But i do have PMS and i always cry a lot then. I just can't believe PMS and "the episode of which we shall not speak" had to co-incide!!! I think it must have been "God's Plan" to give himself a right old laugh!!!

Anyway, here's the link to Desperation:
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6227378/1/Desperation

numbat
Grade Schooler

Postby EHfan » 11 Aug 2010, 06:05

Kerry,

Here's to Lunch wasn't in the least bit boring! Sometimes you need stories that are transitional. Especially in a story arc like yours that covers so much time. I liked it a lot and thought that you got a lot out in terms of Rachel's feelings about her dad, about her coming to terms with the pregnancy. It was important to show the thought process that went into her change in attitude. And I loved the fact that it was her realization of how much trust she has in Jacob that brought her around, not how much they love each other (even though they do) but how much they trust each other.

Oh, and before I forget, I also absolutely cracked up when Rachel compared Sergi to Eric the vampire. I love those books and yes, if Sergi looks like Eric I can imagine Rachel having erotic thoughts about him, even if she does have Jacob.

Can't even talk yet properly about AIDIMY. Very powerful, very emotional, and very, very right for your Jacob. All I can say is that you need to admit that yes, you ARE a writer. We've talked before about you trying your hand at a novel.

I'm looking forward to the wedding story. The big question I have now, is Rachel's father even invited to the wedding????? I can see her going both ways. He was drunk and abusive, (not just her saying so, Frank kind of confirmed that in BNGN) and she may not want him there. Plus, she might want to spare her mother the angst of seeing him. But then again, he IS her father, and she did admit that sometimes she does miss him.

Have a great time on your girl's weekend. Drink lots of wine, eat lots of chocolate, and wallow in the "joys" of PMS. After all, it is God's plan. [snorting loudly]

Joyce

Joyce
EHfan
Middle Schooler

Postby rueful2 » 02 Sep 2010, 17:45

Sorry for the belated applause, but GREAT JOB! Image I loved both your last J&R stories. You captured the right tone for each one. Breezy and humorous for "Lunch" (although with some serious points made) and quiet but very moving for "Miss you". It's really impressive that you can manage to write such different kinds of story in succession and be so successful with each.

I'm also curious as to how you're going to handle whether Rachel's father is invited or not. As someone with a very complicated father-daughter relationship, I can totally relate to the awkwardness and uncertainty that any family event brings.

numbat wrote:And Joyce - i agree you should join the RoofTop!!! Although i still like coming here to have "proper conversations" about stories. That lot over there are only interested in the sex, LOL!!!

Oh, and we're not? :roll:

EHfan wrote: Drink lots of wine, eat lots of chocolate, and wallow in the "joys" of PMS. After all, it is God's plan. [snorting loudly]

ROFLMAO!
rueful2
Middle Schooler

Postby numbat » 13 Sep 2010, 10:47

Well, as i commented on Joyces thread, i haven't been here for a while, and when i do, i find that you guys have been kind enough to talk to me and i didn't even reply. How rude am i? :(

So anyway, i apologise unreservedly for my tardiness and give you this:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6321546/1/Until_Tomorrow

I'm a bit uncertain about it because it's yet another "in a restaurant" story, but somehow i couldn't hop right into the wedding without doing this first. Or maybe i'm still just procrastinating about the wedding and all this could have been covered perfectly well in that story. Who knows!!!

What i do know is that i now appear to have a cast of thousands for the actual wedding. How i'm going to let them all have their say is a little bit beyond me at this stage!!!

Kerry
numbat
Grade Schooler

PreviousNext

Return to Fanworks