Numbatstuff

Any fanfic, fanart, fanvids, etc, etc, goes here.

Numbatstuff

Postby numbat » 16 Mar 2010, 10:11

Hey everyone! Joyce suggested that i start a separate thread to discuss my stuff.

So to answer your question Joyce, I think Rachel would absolutely have made sure that she marked him for that terrible Elizabeth woman to see!!!

I never did like her shamelessly flirting with our Jacob, and i've wanted to do that story for ages (long before i ever thought of doing a story in fact!!!)

The question that i'm not so clear on, is whether Jacob really couldn't remember meeting her before, or whether he played his own part in engineering Rachel's reaction - whether he expected her to take him to the storage cupboard or just wanted to make her jealous enough to get his way when they got home!

I don't want to sound like a complete loony, but sometimes I feel that Jacob, by and large, writes these stories himself and sometimes I'm not exactly sure how much he does or doesn't engineer situations to suit his own ends. One thing I do know is that he's not nearly as clueless as Rachel chooses to believe him to be!!!

I think the next one will be from Jacob's POV so that one may take a little time as I need to change the style a little to suit him. And of course it wil cover some of the things that are important to him in their relationship - like their future!!
numbat
Grade Schooler

Re: Numbatstuff

Postby EHfan » 16 Mar 2010, 10:57

OK, so she did mean to do that! Like I said, when I read the story, her kissing Jacob on the neck went right over my head - even though Rachel tells him a few seconds later "no kissing." Yeah, I can see her being pissed enough to mark him in some way.

I can buy Jacob not remembering Elizabeth. They only met briefly and she wasn't that good looking (definitely not as pretty as Rachel) so she may not have made that much impression on him. And I agree - Jacob is not as clueless as Rachel seems to think. Yes, he may get preoccupied when he's working, but he seems pretty observent the rest of the time.

And you don't sound loony when you talk about Jacob writing the stories. I've read where some professional writers say exactly the same thing. That their characters write the story and they haven't the faintest idea how their books will turn out.

Joyce
EHfan
Middle Schooler

Postby kygal » 16 Mar 2010, 12:38

Welcome Numbat! Cant wait for more EH stuff out of you...as well as the Rufus stuff! See you here and there!!
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby numbat » 17 Mar 2010, 06:39

Hi kygal - & thanks for your encouragement over at The Rooftop. You guys have been very patient with me over there!

Joyce, thanks for your thoughtful reviews and comments. I've enjoyed our correspondence about A Warm Weekend at ff.net. And i agree that Jacob has a lot going on in his head sometimes (more than the average male of the species I suspect!!)

Have been thinking a lot about Jacob's POV story today and it's taking an interesting turn. I think it might turn out differently than i first imagined.
numbat
Grade Schooler

Postby rueful2 » 17 Mar 2010, 11:23

Hi, Numbat. Welcome to PH and thanks for posting your well-written, gripping, extremely hot J&R stories.

I think you're doing a great job of keeping both characters true to what was developed over the course of the series. You have managed to their basic natures the same, but still provided a lot of surprises, which is just like people in real life of course.

I'm looking forward to more stuff from the world you've created.

PS Did you also want to mention your Tristan and Isolde story here, or is that a big secret? ;)
rueful2
Middle Schooler

Postby kygal » 17 Mar 2010, 16:19

Cant wait for the next one!!
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby numbat » 17 Mar 2010, 22:44

Hahaha, thanks rueful - you know you shouldn't encourage me like that!!! :lol:

OK, the other day i did post a short piece i wrote a few months ago about the movie Tristan & Isolde. When i posted it on The Rooftop it was originally called "What Isolde Was Really Thinking" but i changed the name to "Truth" for ff.net. Surprisingly enough it's about what Isolde was really thinking (because we all know she couldn't possibly be in love with James Franco when she was lucky enough to have been married off to Rufus!!! ;) )

Here's the link if anyone's interested. It's only very short:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5817283/1/Truth
numbat
Grade Schooler

Postby kygal » 18 Mar 2010, 04:30

Rufus over Franco any day...for me... Rufus over everyone (except real-life hubby of course)!

You already know I enjoyed this story as well!
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby EHfan » 18 Mar 2010, 05:44

Yes, you should post links to your other Rufus stories here. The Isolde story was good, I enjoyed it. You have a nice turn of phrase.

Looking forward to your story told from Jacob's POV. I would think that would be difficult, Jacob always struck me as somewhat reserved, hard to tell what he was thinking.

And I meant it when I said not to worry about ratings and stuff like that when you're writing. If you write what you like, we'll all like it too. The three stories you've posted so far have been good.

Joyce
EHfan
Middle Schooler

Postby rueful2 » 19 Mar 2010, 07:56

Going back a bit, regarding whether Jacob remembers the bar tramp*: Even though he was portrayed outwardly as being oblivious to women flirting with him, I can't really buy that. He was married a number of years, and if only for the sake of not being whacked on the head with a frying pan, he'd need to learn when to step back from a woman who was coming on to him. I think the "cluelessness" is his barrier to reject the advances without having to actually say no. Not that he'd necessarily always say no (when he was single again), just that in the instances we saw during the series, he wasn't interested.

And Numbat, I think Rachel would be very likely to respond just as you wrote. Nice job.

*I'm not opposed to a woman making a move, but she was working mighty fast, handing out her phone number to a guy she's talked to for literally 1 minute.
rueful2
Middle Schooler

Postby EHfan » 19 Mar 2010, 16:28

rueful2 wrote:Going back a bit, regarding whether Jacob remembers the bar tramp*: Even though he was portrayed outwardly as being oblivious to women flirting with him, I can't really buy that. Not that he'd necessarily always say no (when he was single again), just that in the instances we saw during the series, he wasn't interested.

I agree with you Rue - in Cardiac, he is obviously flattered by the botanist (LIzzie??) who knew about his Nobel paper. Later in the episode she invites him in for a drink and he agrees. So obviously he was sometimes interested. With the bar tramp (LOVE that description of Elizabeth!) he's ok with the flirting, even seems to enjoy it, but is uncomfortable when she asks for his phone number. I would say that the cluelessness about women flirting with him is more a function of his becoming preoccupied when he's deep into an investigation.

But I still say he may not have rembered Elizabeth - brief encounter, she's not so good-looking that he would remember her a few months later.

rueful2 wrote:And Numbat, I think Rachel would be very likely to respond just as you wrote. Nice job.

Agree again Rue. In the series, she is shown as somewhat aggressive physically. In just about every episode there was a scene or two of her tripping, hitting, pushing around, etc. someone. So yes, she just might get very physical with Jacob in this situation.

Joyce
EHfan
Middle Schooler

Postby numbat » 21 Mar 2010, 09:15

So yes, she just might get very physical with Jacob in this situation.

Mmmmmm, she seems to get physical wth Jacob in quite a lot of situations - that is the problem i'm having with them at the moment. Trying desperately to write a story that doesn't involve them getting physical!!!

Have had to put Jacob's story on hold for a little while because it was getting too hard and full of angst!!! Am working on another from Rachel's POV which is a bit lighter.

Right now I'm actually a bit annoyed with the show writers for slipping in this convenient little backstory for Jacob (ie, being a widower), because when you start really thinking about it, this must absolutely colour his view of life and his actions (and not in a good way!) I want him to be happy but he's resisting me.
numbat
Grade Schooler

Postby EHfan » 21 Mar 2010, 13:40

numbat wrote:Right now I'm actually a bit annoyed with the show writers for slipping in this convenient little backstory for Jacob (ie, being a widower), because when you start really thinking about it, this must absolutely colour his view of life and his actions (and not in a good way!) I want him to be happy but he's resisting me.

I'm not sure that his past would affect him in a bad way. In the episode Electro, Jacob is talking to a woman whose husband is in a coma. She is lamenting that she and her husband have grown apart. Jacob tells her that it's not to late, that she and her husband can have another chance. I got the feeling maybe Jacob's marriage wasn't the happiest at the time of his wife's death. Not that the marriage was bad mind you, but that they had grown apart and he regrets that fact.

I would say that Jacob's view of life/marriage/romance would be more hopeful. A little wary yes, because he knows, none better, how quickly it can all be gone. But, he had a good thing and let it slip away. I think he would want to try to regain that kind of happiness and be determinded this time not to screw it up.

I think you hit the nail on the head, when in A Warm Weekend you had Jacob tell Rachel he's ok with love and romance, but not so sure about happy endings. But the fact that's he willing to open up to Rachel and tell her he loves her, it seems to me that he's getting his belief in happiness back.

Joyce
EHfan
Middle Schooler

Postby numbat » 22 Mar 2010, 22:40

That's really interesting Joyce. I went back and watched that bit of Electro again (what a hardship!!), but the overwhelming feeling I get from Jacob whenever he talks (either directly or obliquely) about the death of his wife, is just sadness. My take on that scene is that he's telling her that she's lucky that they will have a second chance at life together (whereas he and Maggie didn't).

I do agree that generally he is optimistic about the future, and his future with Rachel. Sometimes though, the old demons come to haunt him and that's what i'm finding is happening in his story although i never intended it to take that road.

This is a few lines of a radio play that Rufus performed a few years ago called "Nick Silver Can't Sleep":
"It keeps getting dark, over and over
A dew of sadness blankets everything
The air's thin and warm and i have trouble breathing
I feel lost and anxious and trapped"

Those lines have been going around in my head, and i think that's how Jacob feels some nights when he's alone.

(Will try and get this story finished soon instead of just talking about it!!!)
numbat
Grade Schooler

Postby EHfan » 23 Mar 2010, 06:17

numbat wrote:That's really interesting Joyce. I went back and watched that bit of Electro again (what a hardship!!), but the overwhelming feeling I get from Jacob whenever he talks (either directly or obliquely) about the death of his wife, is just sadness. My take on that scene is that he's telling her that she's lucky that they will have a second chance at life together (whereas he and Maggie didn't).

Exactly! Jacob is a man who can appreciate second chances. He's had a hard lesson in how fleeting life/happiness can be and he's not one to make the same mistake twice. I didn't mean to imply that I thought his marriage to Maggie was bad, or that they were close to divorce, merely that they had grown apart, were taking each other for granted and Jacob regrets that missed second chance to regain what they had originally.

numbat wrote:This is a few lines of a radio play that Rufus performed a few years ago called "Nick Silver Can't Sleep":

"It keeps getting dark, over and over
A dew of sadness blankets everything
The air's thin and warm and i have trouble breathing
I feel lost and anxious and trapped"

Those lines have been going around in my head, and i think that's how Jacob feels some nights when he's alone.

But as Jacob noted in H2O, "I'm not alone anymore."

Maybe it's a function of my age, or my belief that humans are more resilient than we think, but I don't see his character as one who would be totally oppressed by his grief. In the first epidsode, we learn that his wife has been dead for two years. It's hard to get a time-line from the series (I mean Titians takes place in the fall, college football season, and then the next episode takes place over spring break in Florida and then Subway is in the fall again) but it seems that Jacob and Rachel are together for at least a year, maybe a year and a half. I would think after 3 or 4 years, he would definitely be ready to move on.

Or then again, maybe I just long for happy endings! Oh well, hope that Jacob doesn't give you to much more trouble with the story.

Joyce
EHfan
Middle Schooler

Postby kygal » 23 Mar 2010, 16:22

Its funny how we all have certain ideas about The Hoods relationship. So much we didnt get to find out.I have read many fanfics that go in different directions about his wife and their relationship. And I have enjoyed them all. I know Jacobs science friend introduced them but I am not sure Maggie was a scientist or any type of medical person. I always saw her- in my head -as a complete opposite of Jacob...sure- a smart woman...but very different, and they complimented each other. I think thats why he did well with Rachel. I also see them as having a very happy and full relationship. Sure...everone has guilt about not having as much time as we like together or say what we feel we should have said, especailly if someone is taken to soon. I think Jacobs only guilt is he could not save her. He certainly had cancer expert contacts and made reference to them in Frozen and Miracle so I think they tried all they could.

Really bothers me still (here I go again) that CBS cancelled this series when there was so much interest in the content and the characters. Have felt all along we really never got any closure . So much potential. Geeez...even Lost fans are getting closure and answers! Really wish-if the show nevers come back-that SG would at least write our future seasons...dont want much do I ?

Anyway...keep the fanfics comming!!!!
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby numbat » 23 Mar 2010, 18:13

You've just freaked me out kygal!!! I will say no more.

I'm hoping you will both be satisfied with Jacob's story.

But there is another one first (soon, i hope) :D
numbat
Grade Schooler

Postby onepercentclub » 23 Mar 2010, 23:17

kygal wrote:Really bothers me still (here I go again) that CBS cancelled this series when there was so much interest in the content and the characters. Have felt all along we really never got any closure . So much potential. Geeez...even Lost fans are getting closure and answers! Really wish-if the show nevers come back-that SG would at least write our future seasons...dont want much do I ?

Anyway...keep the fanfics comming!!!!

Tell me about it... I still hate CBS for that. I will hate them forever!
onepercentclub
Middle Schooler

Postby EHfan » 24 Mar 2010, 08:15

numbat wrote:You've just freaked me out kygal!!! I will say no more. :D

Ohhh, I love it when people give hints! Let's me let my imagination run wild. Looking forward to both your next Rachel story and the Jacob story.

Joyce
EHfan
Middle Schooler

Postby kygal » 25 Mar 2010, 16:42

Freaked out ! ? Now I am curious. Heading to Fla for spring break tomorrow pm with no computer. Looking forward to some new fanfics when I get back. Will take a Zen book though!
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby numbat » 26 Mar 2010, 11:14

Enjoy your spring break kygal!! Aurelio will look after you - he's very good company ;)

Have finally posted the next part of my ongoing saga. Its called "His Three Favourite Words" and here's the link:

http://www.fanfiction.net/tv/Eleventh_Hour/14/0/1/1/0/0/0/0/0/1/

And before you ask, of course it's rated M!!! :D
numbat
Grade Schooler

Postby EHfan » 27 Mar 2010, 00:01

Love the new story. I think you bring to the forefront a very serious issuIe in any Jacob/Rachel relationship. He is going to hate her risking herself phyically in her job, and she is going to resent what see sees as his trying to manage her life. She's not use to being in a serious relationship - she is going to have a hard time learning to comprise. Likewise, Jacob is going to have a hard time dealing with a woman who is as independent as Rachel.

Now is this the story Jacob was giving you such a hard time about? Cause I got to say, I agree with Rachel, I HATE it when guys get sulky when they don't get their way.

Have to say,our remark that Rachel makes about rapists caught my eye, one of the speakers at the conference I'm attending was very obviously filling in for someone at the last minute, so my mind was wondering about a possible plot where Rachel and Hood are caughtby bad guys, and how said bad guys would react to having a very attractive woman in their power and how Hood would react to this kind of situation. I mean, Rachel is a woman in a very dangerous job - yes she's in the executive protection detail, but that means she puts her life/safety ahead of Hood's and he can't like that.

I personally love your M rated fictions - wish I could write about their physical relationship as eloquently as you do.

Joyce
EHfan
Middle Schooler

Postby numbat » 27 Mar 2010, 05:59

Thanks Joyce!! Glad you think about these issues in their relationship as well. Don't know how or if ever they will be resolved - will have to wait and see what emerges as it progresses.

That sounds like a great idea for a possible story. Will you write it? - because i'll have a go if you don't (sorry, that was a bit cheeky wasn't it!!!!). I do really like the idea of exploring these serious issues though, whoever does the writing.

And i love the fact that you were sitting in a conference thinking about Jacob and Rachel! I was at the supermarket today and he was with me too (he didn't really enjoy it!!!) :lol:

His Three Favourite Words isn't the story that he and I are still arguing about. I'm trying to get him to lighten up a bit about it but as he (rightly??) says, it's a serious story and needs to be treated seriously. I guess he's right so i might just give in on this occasion.

(PS - Jacob would like you to know that he wasn't sulking he was just thinking. Sometimes he needs time to think about things and he believes it was a bit unfair for Rachel to say that he was sulking when she was the one being obstinate. If she needed time to think, he would give her space :D )
numbat
Grade Schooler

Postby EHfan » 27 Mar 2010, 07:27

Not hard to let your mind wander at a conference when the substitute speaker (and he was a sub) is so obviusly working from someone else's power point that he keeps saying things as he advances the slides -oops, already talked about that.

Don't worry about being cheeky - the more EH fics the better. If both of us write the same basic plot - we'd most likely come at it from different angles, it might be interesting. So - write away if you so desire!

Joyce

P.S. Tell Jacob that Rachel still says he was being sulky.
EHfan
Middle Schooler

Postby numbat » 27 Mar 2010, 09:29

Don't worry about being cheeky - the more EH fics the better. If both of us write the same basic plot - we'd most likely come at it from different angles, it might be interesting. So - write away if you so desire!

Now I think about it, it would be interesting wouldn't it!

Kerry

(P.S. Jacob says he will deal with Rachel later ;) )
numbat
Grade Schooler

Next

Return to Fanworks