ObsidianJade's Stories

Any fanfic, fanart, fanvids, etc, etc, goes here.

Re: ObsidianJade's Stories

Postby kygal » 01 Apr 2011, 04:23

Will read on the weekend when I have more time.
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby kygal » 02 Apr 2011, 05:40

Very enjoyable chapter. Really kept my attention throughout. Gin is an interesting character.
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby EHfan » 02 Apr 2011, 12:00

Amazing - you actually made me feel sorry for Gin. A good chapter, like all the way you're developing this story. And I don't think it was late in being posted. Your on an every other week schedule, right?

Hope that you're feeling better and that real life starts treating you well.

JOyce
EHfan
Middle Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 02 Apr 2011, 21:21

I am, but that was a third week. Again. I think? I'm not even sure what month this is, actually.

Gin is a fascinating character to play with - I'm always glad to think I do him justice. He was designed by Kubo, the mangaka, to be repellent, and got a fairly positive reception despite that, much to Kubo's surprise. As the series progressed, he became a more sympathetic character. The last few chapters leading up to the battle with Aizen revealed him to be, if not one of the 'good guys,' then at least 'the enemy of the enemy.' He has his own motivations and a rather unique way of thinking, which is what makes him such a marvelous character to explore.

He's also alarmingly easy for me to write. I suppose I should probably be concerned about that, given that he's mildly sociopathic, but I worry more about Masa, truth be told, as he's completely sociopathic.

Interestingly, the reaction to this chapter has been almost entirely sympathetic to Gin and nearly violent towards Soifon. I'm not trying to vilify her - she is fighting to regain her lost pride, and she's never been a kind and loving person, but she acted in a means she thought would gain necessary information to assist the efforts of the Soul Society. Just a few of those shades of gray that Hyorinmaru and Hitsugaya were discussing.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby EHfan » 03 Apr 2011, 11:02

I looked at Soifon's actions as someone who is some blinded by her own pain, so t speak, that she can't see the wider picturer. Someone who doesn't remember the law of unintended consequences. She wants something so badly she doesn't fully consider the other possible outcomes of her actions.

Like you, I'm surprised people would react harshly to her - I mostly felt sorry for her.

Joyce

BTW - It's April.
EHfan
Middle Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 03 Apr 2011, 20:07

Oh, good, I was right.

And that's pretty much Soifon in a nutshell. She was raised with one goal in life - to be Yoruichi's servant and protector. Yoruichi was born into a noble family who traditionally held power over Soifon's family, and quickly gained Soifon's devotion. When Yoruichi fled the Soul Society, Soifon took over her old master's position as Captain of the Second Division, and her near-fanatical devotion to Yoruichi spiraled into hatred until Yoruichi returned and made some degree of amends.

It's actually a bit of a running gag on the series, how devoted Soifon is to Yoruichi; that's the only person she ever shows any affection or real respect to. She's emotionally very..... not compromised, necessarily, but immature and stunted.

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 22 Apr 2011, 12:31

Not yet an alert on my new chapter, just bragging about where I've been the past two days - having time off!!! :shock:

Took three days off work (gasp!) and headed out to play groupie with my Mom for a singer named Ari Hest. You may or may not have heard of him (probably not), although he really deserves to be famous. He's a great guy, exceptionally talented, sweet, funny, and gorgeous to boot. Saw two of his shows (Vienna, Virginia and Ashland, Virginia), and had an absolute blast. He's one of those rare musicians that actually sounds better live than on studio albums, and his drummer, Doug have a fantastic chemistry and banter onstage that keeps you laughing when you're not singing or humming along.

Lazing around a bit today (since we got home at around two this morning), but I'll have the chapter posted by tonight. In the meantime, check out Ari on YouTube! Link is to one of my favorite songs of his, 'Business of America.' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pGbGLcN ... re=related

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby kygal » 24 Apr 2011, 10:00

I enjoyed that. He is good! I admit to liking his looks as well. Rolex next weekend. Hope you and your Mom can come some day. I plan to go as long as all is going well with Dad.
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 26 Apr 2011, 08:04

One of the best things about Ari is that he's a genuinely decent guy on top of his looks and talent. He's friends with my Mom on FB, knows her by name (she's been to about a dozen of his shows), and he's never in too much of a rush to chat with a fan and take pictures after the show.

One of the great things he does with his live shows is with this one song, Cranberry Lake; it's written as a duet, and while Doug (his drummer) is probably perfectly capable of singing the women's part, Ari picks a woman from the audience to sing with him. Ever since the first time Mom had heard the song, well before Ari began singing it onstage, she had wanted to sing it as a duet with him, and she did on the second night. She did a fantastic job, and it absolutely made her night.

Ari's live shows are a lot of fun; he is one of those rare artists that sounds better live than on studio records, his comic patter with the audience is always great. And he and his drummer have this hilarious interplay on stage, they have fantastic chemistry together.

Oh, and I posted the chapter back on Friday.... and then completely forgot to link it.... http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6140802/23/Bonds_of_Honor

*is scatterbrained*

It's mostly a filler chapter, and a lot of it focuses on the repercussions of Kin inheriting Shinsou, but I think it came out all right. I realized earlier this morning that I create a lot of very screwed-up OCs.

Erm, enjoy?

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby kygal » 27 Apr 2011, 04:30

What a thrill for your Mom. Will have to wait until I have more time to read this chapter. Looking forward to it!
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby kygal » 02 May 2011, 16:10

Enjoyed this chapter very much. Did jump around a bit but I was able to keep up. Liked reading about all the characters, eventhough Renji is my fave! The part with Gin and the spider was interesting...glad he let it live, (not a fan of spiders though) some changing going on I think! Did not really consider it a filler...very entertaining. So a little jump to the future in the next chapter...cant wait!
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 02 May 2011, 20:44

I'm not a fan of spiders myself, but the scene came through like that and I liked it. It's an interesting mark of evolution for Gin, one that Yoruichi wasn't expecting.

And no worries, Renji will be back soon! I like him too much for him not to be around, ;) .

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby EHfan » 08 May 2011, 17:22

Finally got a chance to read this. Good chapter, yes, it was filler, but very interesting filler. I liked seeing the way you wrapped up, explained things that had happened in earlier chapters. Good job all around.

Joyce
EHfan
Middle Schooler

Postby EHfan » 26 Jun 2011, 18:14

sarah -

Just caught up with your lastest chapter, signs of the next generation taking over? The calm before the storm? You've set up some interesting relavations, both personal and in terms of the coming battles. I'm interested in seeing where you go with this one.

Joyce
EHfan
Middle Schooler

Postby kygal » 03 Jul 2011, 07:20

Sarah...where are you? Hope everything is ok! Has there been another chapter since April that I missed. I am not sure where to find it if its not linked here.
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 04 Jul 2011, 20:49

Am alive! All's good, just busy. Ch. 24 was posted a while back ( http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6140802/24/Bonds_of_Honor ) and I'm still in the process of working on 25 in between work shifts. Feel free to email me and nag about it, please! Ensignbiki@aol.com If you do I might actually get some more work put in on it.

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby kygal » 06 Jul 2011, 04:23

Great chapter! Also looking forward to what happens next. Love the Renji character!
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 19 Jul 2011, 05:27

Headin' to Connecticut for a week to see some of the family.... not exactly a vacation, but it'll be a break from the 50-60 hours-a-week work schedule I'm currently on, so maybe I'll be able to get a bit of writing snuck in somewhere!

Internet access will be via my Blackberry only, but maybe that's not a bad thing. Fewer distractions.....

[is not awake]

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby EHfan » 19 Jul 2011, 10:53

Sarah -

Have a good time with your family - enjoy the cooler weather there.

Joyce
EHfan
Middle Schooler

Postby kygal » 20 Jul 2011, 04:17

Hey, no work, no writting...just have fun. Have a safe trip!
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby EHfan » 12 Sep 2011, 16:12

Sarah -

Just caught up with your latest chapter in Bonds of Honor - really enjoyed it. After some of the angst in the last few chapters it was nice to have this one start off with a bit of humor. I also enjoyed the peek into the home life of Ichigo and Ruika.

But you ended on a very ominious note - looking forward to seeing how things turn out.

BTW - did you have a good time in Atlanta?

Joyce
EHfan
Middle Schooler

Postby kygal » 13 Sep 2011, 04:32

Will check it out!
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 14 Sep 2011, 15:54

Had a blast!

Wait, who mentioned Atlanta??

But yes, it was awesome. I did get to meet Nikki and that was fantastic, dragged Mom down to D*C with me and she (the non-fantasy, non-sci-fi, non-anime person) had as much fun as I did. We're both infatuated with Steampunk and already planning next year's trip to the Con.

As for ch25, very glad you liked it! I did have fun writing Matsumoto's part; she's always a great diversion and we haven't seen much of her lately. I tried to pace the chapter right with the descent of emotion from her humorous argument in the meeting, all the way down through Ryuuken's torture and Masa's plotting.

Chapter 26 is still in the drafting stages, and I am once again not-at-home for next few days (working at a horse show in Lexington, VA), but I'm going to at least get started on it before leaving tomorrow.

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby EHfan » 15 Sep 2011, 09:56

Why you did sweetie! In your A/N to the last chapter - wht can I say, I'm a compulsive reader I always read the A/N. Glad you and your mom had such a good time.

And yes, the chapter was pretty awesome - you did a good job of slowly changing the emotional atmosphere.

Have fun at the horse show.

Joyce
EHfan
Middle Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 15 Sep 2011, 18:56

Haha, wow, I'm a dolt. I forgot I'd put that in my A/N.

Horse show involves waking up at 5:15 each morning. I will have fun with Five-Hour-Enegy shots.

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

PreviousNext

Return to Fanworks