Eleventh Hour UK

Anything related to Eleventh Hour goes here.

Eleventh Hour UK

Postby john81 » 01 Aug 2009, 08:05

Dedicated to the four part series that came before. Starring Patrick Stewart as Doctor Ian Hood science adviser for the Home Office, and Ashley Jensen as his bodygaurd Rachel Young. A darker slower-paced show than it's US counterpart, writen and created by Stephen Gallagher.
john81
Preschooler

Re: Eleventh Hour UK

Postby æthre » 01 Aug 2009, 10:10

imho, if you're going to watch any of the UK episodes, watch Miracle - I found the UK version of that episode far, far superiour to the US version.
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby john81 » 01 Aug 2009, 11:09

In case you hadn't noticed, here in the UK we can't do investigation dramas that only last 45 minutes, they have to last an hour at the very least.

Why is it poor grumpy old Ian Hood gets called into budget meetings for overspending, while Jacob Hood never does? Traveling in the UK can't cost that much, just goes to show -- my goverment are a bunch of tight-arses. :?
john81
Preschooler

Postby luvinx » 01 Aug 2009, 17:32

john81 wrote:....just goes to show -- my goverment are a bunch of tight-arses. :?

....whereas my government are just a bunch of asses! :lol:
luvinx
High Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 01 Aug 2009, 18:09

john81 wrote:Why is it poor grumpy old Ian Hood gets called into budget meetings for overspending, while Jacob Hood never does?

Because if they tried calling Jacob into budget meetings, he would ramble on semi-coherently about gods-know-what to defend his overspending, and while the board was distracted either listening to him or falling asleep from listening to him, he would make some sort of bomb out of whatever beverages happened to be on hand to illustrate some random tangential point of his ramble. And nothing would get accomplished and he would continue spending.

Way I figure it, that's already happened once or twice before, and they just gave up on trying to rein him in. :lol:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby æthre » 01 Aug 2009, 18:53

Wasn't he in some sorta meeting at the beginning of Containment? Yes, it was something boring... Hood says that "I admit biowaste facilities aren't very sexy".
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby ObsidianJade » 01 Aug 2009, 19:02

Huhwhat? That's the original version?

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby luvinx » 01 Aug 2009, 19:08

ObsidianJade wrote:Huhwhat? That's the original version?

I remember he was in some kind of meeting at the beginning of "Containment", because I was a little mad at Hood for being annoyed at Rachel when she interrupts....until he finds out it is about his old friend, that is.
ObsidianJade wrote:Because if they tried calling Jacob into budget meetings, he would ramble on semi-coherently about gods-know-what to defend his overspending, and while the board was distracted either listening to him or falling asleep from listening to him, he would make some sort of bomb out of whatever beverages happened to be on hand to illustrate some random tangential point of his ramble. And nothing would get accomplished and he would continue spending.

Way I figure it, that's already happened once or twice before, and they just gave up on trying to rein him in. :lol:

:lol: Yup, that is our Jacob!
luvinx
High Schooler

Postby æthre » 01 Aug 2009, 22:46

Yeah, that was in the US version.
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby onepercentclub » 02 Aug 2009, 00:12

I still haven't watched the UK version.
I'll have to buy it...
onepercentclub
Middle Schooler

Postby john81 » 02 Aug 2009, 01:35

Well in the UK version he rambled on about probability theory, that he can't predict how much his work is going to cost and that a budget is only an estimate. And on leaving promises his boss that on the next budget meeting to discuss chaos theory with her, while she gives him a confused look.

I like the fact that Ian Hood annoys Rachel far more than Jacob ever could. Not only does he rush in front of moveing cars and sit on panic butons, but he suffers from chronic grumpy old man syndrome, for whitch there is no cure. Although, after Rachel had to discharge her firearm in Resurrection, he did comment that she looked just like Lara Croft, which could be taken as a complement.
For some reason I've just got an image of Ian Hood playing Tomb Raider in my mind, I found it slightly disturbing. :shock:

(edit: Nikki/aethre: plz don't double post.)
john81
Preschooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 02 Aug 2009, 10:40

(gets the same image and also finds it disturbing, particularly as Ian keeps muttering 'make it so, make it so,' at the screen)

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby luvinx » 02 Aug 2009, 11:40

ObsidianJade wrote:(gets the same image and also finds it disturbing, particularly as Ian keeps muttering 'make it so, make it so,' at the screen)

Same here, :lol:
luvinx
High Schooler

Postby ellie70 » 03 Aug 2009, 12:43

And the UK version of EH is NOT glamorous and does not have the beautiful Rufus Sewell in it. There, I have said it, as base as it sounds, it is nonetheless very true. That was my point to ITV when they replied to me, they just couldn't get their heads around the fact that the US version was, well, different with regard to the main characters and their image.
I hold my hands up and admit that I have not seen our UK version but I can guess what it is like and it will be nothing like the US version.
I will buy it from Amazon.co.uk and see for myself.
ellie70
Kindergartener

Postby kygal » 03 Aug 2009, 15:31

i started watching the u.s version of eh because of rufus as well... and really did not know much about him at the time....then i loved everything about the show as i watched...i do like patrick s as an actor as well...i may try to get my hands on the uk version...after all...without it we would not have the u.s version..........
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby onepercentclub » 03 Aug 2009, 20:26

I think Rufus/Marley have more chemistry on screen than Patrick/Ashley.
onepercentclub
Middle Schooler

Postby æthre » 07 Aug 2009, 17:42

Proooobably because Patrick is how much older?

I can't believe that I just said that.
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby ObsidianJade » 07 Aug 2009, 20:05

One word, though: Vash.

Anyone who's watched TNG will understand that - the rest of you will be utterly lost.

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby luvinx » 08 Aug 2009, 11:11

ObsidianJade wrote:One word, though: Vash.

Anyone who's watched TNG will understand that - the rest of you will be utterly lost.

AHHHHHHHHHHHH!

See, I was/am a Bev/Picard shipper, so, um, no Vash for me. As a matter of fact, um....yuck.
luvinx
High Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 08 Aug 2009, 13:28

(laughs) I never liked Vash, either, frankly I thought she and Q deserved each other. He must have dumped her on some random planet, though, because by the time Voyager rolls around, he's not only chasing Kathryn, he's also got that redheaded b1tch wife of his....

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby john81 » 08 Aug 2009, 13:52

I have to say, give the smaller buget that the title sequence in the UK one looks sooo much cooler than the US version.
And as for the score music, I found it very reminiscent of the X-files. (that's not a bad thing)
john81
Preschooler

Postby æthre » 08 Aug 2009, 16:10

Dammit, I'm still on season one of TNG. I really need to get onto that.

And TNG was something like 20 years ago. Thus, the age difference thing is less creepy since Patrick Stewart was younger. (Not that that hasn't stopped me from shipping Sam/Jack now that RDA is 59... But, then Patrick is 10 years older than RDA...)

Also, I ship Bev/Picard as well. *is a sap* Or, as I annoyingly enjoy to refer to it, Crusher/Picard and then laugh as everyone tries to figure out which Crusher I'm talking about >:3
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby ObsidianJade » 08 Aug 2009, 17:36

Hate to point this out, but Stewart hasn't changed a damn bit, despite the.... wow, crap. Twenty-two years it's been since the premiere of TNG. (dies of shock)

ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby æthre » 08 Aug 2009, 17:53

Yeah, I know.
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby luvinx » 08 Aug 2009, 18:25

I could cry. It has really been that long?
luvinx
High Schooler

Next

Return to The Show