An article on Eleventh Hour in the Citizen magazine..

Anything related to Eleventh Hour goes here.

An article on Eleventh Hour in the Citizen magazine..

Postby VampireCSIHood » 26 Jun 2009, 15:14

OK last night my dad called me into his study... Being the child I am, I was wondering "What did I do??" However, he pointed to a picture in the magazine he was reading... Lo and behold, Rufus Sewell was on the picture. Needless to say I squealed and told him that I wanted it after he was done. I found the link on the internet and thought I'd post it here so ya'll could read it.

http://bluetoad.com/publication/?i=16590&pre=1&p=20
VampireCSIHood
Preschooler

Re: An article on Eleventh Hour in the Citizen magazine..

Postby æthre » 26 Jun 2009, 16:50

Neat! I wonder why everyone feels that they have to politically categorise the show, though. And, in some cases, even to the point of ridiculousness... I always viewed the mother's unwillingness to give up her child in Minimata not due to the sanctity of the unborn child but more that it's all that's she's got left of her husband. And you can be left wing and hold that view. *rolls eyes*

Ah, wait, no, the author is projecting Christian views on stuff that's really just basic human morality. This writing is familiar...

OOhhhh! It's that guy whom I previously lampooned for reading too far into things!

Okay, so it's just ONE guy trying to politically categorise the show... and he totally ignores the fact that the crazy Christian guy in the first episode is A) crazy and B) Christian. *rolls eyes*

To be clear, I have no problems with ascribing morality to the show - that IS what it's about, really. I just have problems with people reading too far into things/warping things to suit their own personal beliefs. Cuz, yeah, I was born and raised Catholic. I'd think I'd notice if I had my own religion thrown in my face - I always react poorly to that. (Which may be apparent from this ramble...)

Also, hmph, Christians being portrayed unfairly on tv. Weeelll, you don't see me bitchin' and, as a Canadian computer science, SF&F, RPG gamer AND comic book nerd I'm often the butt end of jokes. Even on TBBT I'm still being lampooned and, damn, I love that show!

Okay, I'll seriously stop rambling now. And I hope I didn't offend anyone - I seem to have an uncanny ability to do so whenever the topic of Christianity comes up. So, yeah, if I offended you it was totally unintentional. I view religion and belief systems from a secular, academic viewpoint anyway.
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby VampireCSIHood » 26 Jun 2009, 17:05

æthre wrote:Okay, so it's just ONE guy trying to politically categorise the show... and he totally ignores the fact that the crazy Christian guy in the first episode is A) crazy and B) Christian. *rolls eyes*

Actually that guy was Catholic, not Christian. There is a difference.

And actually sometimes Christians are portrayed unfairy on tv. I'm a Christian and one of the reasons I loved EH was because they didn't do that. They didn't make it seem like you couldn't be religious and a scientist at the same time.
VampireCSIHood
Preschooler

Postby luvinx » 26 Jun 2009, 17:09

VampireCSIHood wrote:And actually sometimes Christians are portrayed unfairy on tv. I'm a Christian and one of the reasons I loved EH was because they didn't do that. They didn't make it seem like you couldn't be religious and a scientist at the same time.

I have said from day one (ask Lu) that this was one of the reasons I loved EH the most....no contrived preaching. Nothing being shoved into your face, either way. Left or right. Catholic or atheist. Etc. Just good stories and interesting info all wrapped up in an entertaining package. I took to that right off.
luvinx
High Schooler

Postby æthre » 26 Jun 2009, 17:25

Ummm... no. Christian is the general term for anyone following, well, Christianity. Protestant, Lutheran, Catholicism, etc are subgroups of Christianity. Thus, I was correct in calling him a Christian.

As for being portrayed unfairly... EVERY subgroup is portrayed unfairly on tv. That's what I'm getting at. Hell, Catholics in specific are portrayed unfairly EVERYWHERE. Do you know how much crap I've got for being Catholic? Unfair crap, at that. I'll tell yah, people think that what I believe(d?) in is right up there with eating the heads off of babies.

And, in general, I'm with Kel. I hate preaching :<
-Nikki
æthre
President

Postby onepercentclub » 27 Jun 2009, 21:57

luvinx wrote:I have said from day one (ask Lu) that this was one of the reasons I loved EH the most....no contrived preaching. Nothing being shoved into your face, either way. Left or right. Catholic or atheist. Etc. Just good stories and interesting info all wrapped up in an entertaining package. I took to that right off.

Exactly my friend. One hour of entertainment mixed with useful information.
Damn CBS, more than one month and I still hate them.
onepercentclub
Middle Schooler

Postby luvinx » 27 Jun 2009, 22:17

onepercentclub wrote:Damn CBS, more than one month and I still hate them.

"With the heat of a thousand suns!"
luvinx
High Schooler

Postby ellie70 » 28 Jun 2009, 11:50

I have said from day one (ask Lu) that this was one of the reasons I loved EH the most....no contrived preaching. Nothing being shoved into your face, either way. Left or right. Catholic or atheist. Etc. Just good stories and interesting info all wrapped up in an entertaining package. I took to that right off.

Absolutely right Kel, I am in total agreement. No categories or boundaries, no name calling or preferences, no right way or wrong way just the humanity that runs throughout everything Dr. Jacob Hood does or says and that is a great lesson to be learned for us all.
ellie70
Kindergartener

Postby luvinx » 28 Jun 2009, 14:21

ellie70 wrote:Absolutely right Kel, I am in total agreement. No categories or boundaries, no name calling or preferences, no right way or wrong way just the humanity that runs throughout everything Dr. Jacob Hood does or says and that is a great lesson to be learned for us all.

Yes, I adore his humanity. Those are my thoughts exactly, put much better. Thank you. ;)
luvinx
High Schooler

Postby rueful2 » 28 Jun 2009, 14:59

I think because Hood is such a good, humane character, people are likely to see their own beliefs in him and in the show, regardless of what those beliefs may be. As you have been discussing, those varied interpretations reflect the balance in the writing.
rueful2
Middle Schooler

Postby luvinx » 28 Jun 2009, 15:07

And now knowing how wonderful SG is....and that he would be at the helm of all future episodes....just makes me want it that much more. *insert spaz smilie here*
luvinx
High Schooler

Postby rueful2 » 28 Jun 2009, 15:13

You mean something like this?
rueful2
Middle Schooler

Postby luvinx » 28 Jun 2009, 15:23

rueful2 wrote:Image

You mean something like this?

YES!! OMG! Image
*goes and plays on that site*
luvinx
High Schooler

Postby rueful2 » 28 Jun 2009, 15:29

Have fun, but don't look at the spaz one too long, it's liable to give you a seizure! :D
rueful2
Middle Schooler

Postby luvinx » 28 Jun 2009, 15:38

*wakes up in a pile of drool on the floor*

What? Huh?
luvinx
High Schooler

Postby rueful2 » 28 Jun 2009, 15:43

Ok, young lady. Just make sure you stay out of the s3x smiley page. :lol:
rueful2
Middle Schooler

Postby luvinx » 28 Jun 2009, 15:48

rueful2 wrote:Ok, young lady. Just make sure you stay out of the s3x smiley page. :lol:

:shock:
Never!
*runs off as fast as she possibly can*
luvinx
High Schooler

Postby vmaciv » 15 Sep 2009, 21:41

I do miss the show. I wish JB had paid more attention to the writing and provided better science to make the show interesting. Jacob Hood was a wonderful character and that is my favorite show.
vmaciv
Preschooler

Return to The Show