Contact Responses

Anything related to Eleventh Hour goes here.

Contact Responses

Postby luvinx » 13 Aug 2009, 18:28

All of a sudden it dawned on me that we should have a thread that is dedicated to the responses to our emails. This way, we can all weigh in on them and decide our next step. For example, whether we need to keep them on the "Contact Calendar" for sure, drop them altogether, give them another go for an additional month, etc. Sometimes it is hard to know if they are just saying a "no" right off to blow us off or if they are genuinely aware that it is impossible for their network to pick it up. Here is where we decide what to do together.

I just so happen to have one as well. Let me know what you all want to do. This was from Channel 4:

Dear Ms *****,

Thank you for mail which has been passed to the Viewer Enquiries Department for response. I am sorry to disappoint you but as this show has been cancelled, Channel 4 has no plans to acquire this series and as we had no involvement in the production of this series, we are not in a position to influence any further production.

Again, sorry to disappoint you.

Regards,
Lucy Brooks
Viewer Enquiries
luvinx
High Schooler

Re: Contact Responses

Postby Annie » 13 Aug 2009, 19:27

Responses I got from Channel 5:
---------
Hi
I am afraid this has been purchased by Virgin in the Uk
Jeff (Ford)
---------
Rubi and Steve both replied to instruct me to redirect my inquiries to Acquisitions.

Response from ITV is the same as first round:
---
Thank you for your email.
Eleventh Hour started life as a British series in 2005 and didn't deliver a big audience to ITV1. With that in mind I'm afraid we would be unable to pick up a US version.
Best wishes
Laura Mackie
---

I also got the same response from Channel 4 as yours.
Annie
Preschooler

Postby kygal » 14 Aug 2009, 04:28

I have gotten the same responses. Will change the wording as suggested.
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby luvinx » 14 Aug 2009, 10:52

kygal wrote:I have gotten the same responses. Will change the wording as suggested.

Perfect! I guess we have to do what we have to do, right? ;)
luvinx
High Schooler

Postby rightxhere » 22 Aug 2009, 17:18

Woke up to this in my inbox from DirecTV's customer service. I wasn't sure if you wanted their responses, but thought I would post it as it was of interest anyway :)

Dear Ms. ********,

Thanks for writing and for letting us know your suggestion. As you know, we're not offering Eleventh Hour right now, but we're very interested in knowing the types of programming our customers are interested in.

We have carefully selected program offerings to balance the interests of adults, children and the whole family. We understand that our decision will not meet all customers' needs all of the time, but our research indicates that most of our customers are pleased with the programming that we do offer.

Rest assured that I have forwarded your suggestion to the appropriate department for review.

Sincerely,

Mike O. 100165784
DIRECTV Customer Service
rightxhere
Preschooler

Postby luvinx » 22 Aug 2009, 18:43

Thanks, Demelza, for passing that along. I must be in a positive mood today cause I just look at it as a "okay, they are so not off our list yet" kind of response. :lol: Although I am getting slightly annoyed that many of these folks are so confused by what we are requesting. We do not just want them to air EH. We want them to 'pick it up' or, in this case, work with a third party to acquire and then air a second season.

*sighs*

Well, we will just keep at it then, aye? Sooner or later we will reach someone. ;)
luvinx
High Schooler

Postby kygal » 02 Sep 2009, 16:04

Got a response today from Kelly Hornsby at Five TV. I was clear...I thought...in my email, but she thanked me and repsonded that EH was purchased by Living and cancelled in the States so it is only a one series show. I did respond back to her and thanked her and explained again what my request was...Nice to know our emails are getting thru even if we dont hear what we want....
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby csifan1888 » 10 Sep 2009, 15:56

i didnt know yous were contacting british tv channels. ill need to come on here more often to find out. roy doesnt keep me updated enough
DR. CSI Sanchez
csifan1888
Preschooler

Postby kygal » 15 Sep 2009, 15:49

Got a response from Tony Nguyen for Sharon Levy at Spike TV to remove from the E mail list regarding Eleventh Hour...Oh well........At least the E mails are getting thru.
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby luvinx » 15 Sep 2009, 18:21

Can you post the actual response, kygal? I am just curious how it was worded.
luvinx
High Schooler

Postby kygal » 16 Sep 2009, 15:04

I am not sure how to transfer the actual e mail but here is what it said:

Can you please remove sharon.levy@spiketv.com from the e mail list re: Eleventh Hour...thank you

It was from Tony Nguyen
spike tv
original series development

I think when I sent this I got an out of office reply...so I am not sure how Tony got involved. I did not respond back though.
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby Annie » 05 Oct 2009, 07:23

Anyone got similar response as follows from Disney (well, ABC I think). Strange and a little scary that the email was forwarded to Legal department, titled as "Unsolicited Idea Submission".

Dear Annie:

This will acknowledge, with thanks, your electronic transmission regarding a television show that you have indicated might be of interest to us. Your correspondence was forwarded to the Legal Department as it is our responsibility to respond to letters offering creative ideas on behalf of the Disney organization.

We sincerely appreciate the time you took to write to us. Unfortunately, though, I must explain that our company’s long-established policy does not allow us to accept or review ideas, suggestions or creative materials not solicited by us or our subsidiaries. Our intention is to avoid misunderstandings when projects are created internally which may seem similar to submissions made to us from outside the company.

We recognize that this policy is sometimes a difficult one as when someone like yourself, with all the best intentions, would simply like us to consider her own creative thoughts. Experience has taught us, though, that if we abandon our policy for one person, we will soon have no policy at all. Therefore, as required, we will not retain any copies of your correspondence.

We hope that you will understand our policy. Please be assured of our thanks for your interest in writing to us.

Very truly yours,

Jennifer D. Coleman
Senior Paralegal
JDC:stm
Annie
Preschooler

Postby EHfan » 05 Oct 2009, 08:27

They obviously did not read the letter. It is common practice for anyone in a creative field, (publishers/producers/authors/songwriters) to refuse to read unsolictied submissions of scripts, ideas, and the like. This is to protect them from a future lawsuit in which the submitter claims that their idea was stolen. Eddie Murray was sued sued by someone who claimed Murray stole his idea for the movie "Coming to America." Dan Brown and JK Rowling were both sued by authors who claimed that Brown and Rowling stole major plot points and language from their books. Heck, George Harrison was sued over chords used in the song "My Sweet Lord."

I think the message to take from this response is that we must be very explicit in our letters to the networks that we aren't talking about a new series idea, we are encouraging them to pursue a business deal with JB/WB or whoever owns the rights to EH to bring this show back.

Joyce
EHfan
Middle Schooler

Postby luvinx » 05 Oct 2009, 10:23

Yes, Joyce, very good point. Although I do tend to think that it was the person who read An's letter, rather than An's letter itself, that needs help interpreting.

I have learned throughout this whole campaign that people really DO NOT read. It is sad. I guess what we can do is try and hold their hands even more with our letters and emails. Hang in there, guys....you are all doing a great job! :D

Thanks, guys, for sharing your responses; they help us to mold future letters. One thing I can say about this one, though....at least they were polite. Clueless :lol: ....but polite.
luvinx
High Schooler

Postby EHfan » 05 Oct 2009, 12:01

Luvinx is absolutely correct. People do not read. That is why it's important to use a good subject line in your emails. I would imagine that emails with subject lines that uses the word "idea" or "consider" might go straight to a spam folder. It could be intrepreted that you're sending original material and so you get the canned response.

Joyce
EHfan
Middle Schooler

Postby ObsidianJade » 05 Oct 2009, 12:52

Maybe if we try subject lines along the, err, lines, of 'Series Renewal'? That avoids the whole 'new series' stigma, and also prevents them from realizing (until they actually do, hopefully, READ the letters) that we're campaigning for a discontinued and other-network series.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
ObsidianJade
High Schooler

Postby EHfan » 05 Oct 2009, 13:37

Excellent idea! Yes, series renewal would be a great subject line.

Joyce
EHfan
Middle Schooler

Postby kygal » 05 Oct 2009, 15:04

I also thought of series resurrection and series acquisition in my subject line...but I think series renewal sounds better. I also refer to EH in some of my letters/emails as the prematurely canceled CBS series. And -as always- I request the same cast. I agree that some are probably not read and are forwarded to inappropriate people who then respond. But emails are getting thru...I do get out of office replies from time to time from the person I am trying to contact. We are being heard...hope someone is listening.
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby rueful2 » 06 Oct 2009, 10:49

I never get responses, not even automated ones, so I suppose I've been blocked out as spam. I guess it's time to create a new email address. If only it weren't so hard for my old brain to remember new passwords. ;)
rueful2
Middle Schooler

Postby kygal » 08 Oct 2009, 15:33

I am working with luvinx for contacts at warner bros and sent out a test e mail...I stated I missed the show and wish for its return. An administrative assistant reponded to my e mail saying CBS did not pick up the show so it will not be back(I think she thought I was refering to this fall) She said sorry to disappoint me. She also said they (WB) thought it was a great show also. Thought this was some what positive and we plan to get them on the calendar soon.
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby rueful2 » 08 Oct 2009, 15:42

That's great that you got a positive response (and from an actual person!). :) I haven't had much luck with their general mailbox with my DVD complaints, so I'm looking forward to having a different address to try (although in that case I'll definitely keep my message positive).
rueful2
Middle Schooler

Postby kygal » 28 Oct 2009, 15:53

GOT A RESPONSE from Judy Choe (Fox). She said she can not help in terms of programming for the network. She suggested the askfox@fox.com route. I dont think I sent one there this last round. So I will and will respond to Judy...at least we are getting thru.

Also I got a failure notification for Jamila.hunter@nbcuni.com...will try again...did anyone else have an issue?
kygal
Middle Schooler

Postby kygal » 11 Jan 2010, 07:47

I got a failure of notification on jamila.hunter@nbcuni.com...this has happened to me before...anyone else have problems here who has tried? May be a wrong address or she is not there anymore or maybe she has blocked me. All the others went thru fine.
kygal
Middle Schooler

Return to The Show